• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Rockwell 21-100 Spindle Rebuild

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

machPete99

Active Member
Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2016
Messages
72
Likes
38
#1
Re-posting after server crash issue...
I recently acquired one of these vertical mills, and will be rebuilding and refinishing it as time permits. Most of it is
still in pieces, but I managed to just complete the spindle rebuild. I leveraged some ideas posted on the Yahoo Rockwell
Milling Machine group, which includes some improvements over the stock setup.


I am using a duplex set of Nachi Super Precision 7008CYDU/GL P4 angular contact bearings for the lower spindle bearings,
from ebay. These are provided in matched sets and are to be installed "back-to-back" ("DB"). The races had some markings
on them (the high spots?) which I positioned on opposing sides.

The original fit on the spindle was a bit sloppy, with about 0.001" clearance (for both old and new bearings). I used some
0.0005" stainless shim stock strips to tighten this up to a light press fit, and make everything concentric. I found that
you need to shim each bearing separately, and cut off the excess shim before it fully bottoms out with a utility knife, as
the bearings tend to pull the strips down with them. 1.5" PVC drain pipe makes a good mandrel for installing these. The
bearings were lubricated with Kluber IsoFlex NBU 15 spindle grease.

The bearing retainer (#90) was modified to accept a SKF 17897 oil seal (or equivalent, as used here). This seal is used in
automotive timing cover applications so should be up to the task. This requires turning a pocket about 2.283" diameter by
about 0.3" deep. I used a carbide boring bit as the material was fairly tough (half hardened?).

The upper spindle bearing (#85) was replaced with a new MRC R16ZZ bearing, which has rubber seals. I popped the seals and
repacked it with the Kluber grease. The original fit in the quill for this bearing was a press fit. I used some emery
cloth on the lathe to open this up to a barely sliding fit, so the wavy washer is able to do its job. The press fit on the
spindle shaft was kept, and 3/4" copper pipe used to drive it home.

After assembly, I measured the TIR at the R8 taper and found it to be around 0.0005". The spindle turns slightly firmly,
with no discernible play. Everything seems to be a good fit.
 

Attachments

machPete99

Active Member
Active Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2016
Messages
72
Likes
38
#2
See the picture for my bearing preloading jig, used for setting up the 6007 spindle drive pulley bearings.
This is used to take ordinary deep groove bearings and add some preload so there is no play when assembled.
The original bearings had a similar setup, but they custom gound the inner races a bit narrower to create the preload.

The (2) step bushings fit inside bearings and register on inner races, one being longer so it picks up both bearings.
I put (4) small (.020" diameter) solder pieces between outer races and clamped the bushings and bearings together, crushing the solder.
Bearings are consistently stacked with part number markings on outside.
Once unclamped you measure the solder, and that is about what you want to use as a shim between outer bearing races.
In my case it measured just under .013" and I used .012" brass shim stock, cut to fit between outer races, which seemed to work good.
When assembled with the shim there is a slight drag, with no discernable play or rocking.

The new bearing stackup is somewhat thicker than the original bearings (by about .015") so I had to machine the bearing pocket a bit deeper,
so the snap ring could be installed.
 

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]
Top