• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Rockwell Bladerunner As Benchtop Die Filer

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

j ferguson

Active User
Hah Hah,
I know you guys are only interested in heavy Rockwell iron, but this thing does say Rockwell on it. Too bad it isn't a Turbo Commander.

I added a variable speed control to my new Rockwell blade runner and I'm very happy with it. It looks a bit like a very old Doall benchtop die filing machine which used to live next to the WPB SouthBend I ran in 1959. Is it possible to get T-Shank files? it looks like closest thing is abrasive coated blades, but best would be blades with abrasive coating and no teeth.

I should point out that although I'm still pretty abrasive I do have teeth; mine.

Last edited:

rrjohnso2000

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
You made me google it, no pics.

I'm curious how you like it and what you are cutting. I just realized I needed something like this and was going to add speed control as well. Please let us know if you find a file can be made to work

j ferguson

Active User
I bolted it down to a 17x24x3/4 MDF top screwed to a harborfreight folding workbench (the $20 one). I'll post a couple of photos. the speed control is a 2kw board which included a nice knob and cost $5.95 on ebay. It fit nicely in the left front leg of the saw - on/off E-Stop type switch is in the right leg. So far, I've cut the mdf and some 1/16 3 ply birch. I'm making a new vacuum table for my cnc router so I'll be cutting some 3/4 HDPE.

My saw will be used mostly for cutting aluminum, thin birch ply, carbon fiber tubes and sheet, and (gasp) balsa for tooling and parts for my R/C Airplane projects. I'd been using a power jig-saw clamped upside down in a vise for a lot of this, but it was dangerous and the saw didn't like it.

Apparently the $99 iteration of this saw is Rockwell's second shot at the idea. The first one had a speed control and a stainless steel work table. I tried to find one but pricing on Ebay seemed nuts to me. I think Rockwell's price point was $199. Apparently the market wouldn't support it.

I've found that it is possible to get the blades locked in a bit cocked, but if I'm careful they lock in straight. So far, other than discovering that it's possible to install the blade at a small angle (easily rectified) all of my experience has been good. I left the Delta table saw with the boat when we sold it and had not bought another one because I didn't intend to do a lot of large wood work and was getting a real mill to do the aluminum projects I used to "mill" on the table saw.

If your work will fit on this thing, i couldn't recommend it too highly. I added an led work light from Ikea. BTW, their led work-lights are much less expensive than official ones ($14) and are easily adapted to this use.

And yes, i finally found a T-Shank file, it was a half-round and I'll probably buy one. I was hoping for a 1/16th inch thick mill file cutting down. I suppose I can grind a t-shank into one and make my own, but ...

[6]
[5] [7]