Rockwell Mill, Head Stock worm gear?

38super

Registered
Registered
Anyone have a source for a 7/8-5 acme tap? My aluminum worm gear is cracked, have made a gear blank. If I can't find an acme tap, will have to make one.

TIA
super

Sorry,but no help on the tap.
I may need to do something similar at some point, was thinking that something other than aluminum should be used for the ring gear (brass?).
Any thoughts?

Making a 7/8-5 cutter, hope I have enough propane for kasenit treatment. Might be time to build a furnace/smelter and melt all the aluminum shavings into ingots. Aluminum (6061 - 7075) is OK, who ever used this machine before did not understand the headstock clamps have to be loosen to rotate the head. Seems like one job begets another.

Is the gear stripped all the way around? Can it be rotated 180º and reused?

Gear and cast gear housing are both cracked. Serious gronk was applied. Will post a few pics of work in progress. Got a lead screw prob with SB13 gear box, gotta fix that to finish the 7/8-5 tap blank. $h*t snowball.

edit: The original worm gear has the look of cast aluminum, crack looks grainy. Bet it made noise when it cracked.

Last edited:
IMG_2177.JPG Original gear and housingIMG_2174.JPG 7/8-5 tap hob in progressIMG_2175.JPG Worm gear blank

Bad and good news. SB13 gear box SNAFU, lost the feed in the middle of making the hob (0.078" thd depth, need 0.115"). Milled 4 cutting faces and applied Kasenit. 12 minute heat up with a propane weed burner. Gear blank rotated on used M/C wheel bearings (mistake). First try was very hard for the hob to rotate the gear blank until a cut is established. Inconsistent tooth profile on gear blank, suspect a bad (stretched) bearing cage.
Good news, the hob will work but needs improvements. Bad, need a better way to hold the gear blank.
IMG_2178.JPG Set up.IMG_2179.JPG Bad teeth.IMG_2180.JPG Cutter / gear blank engagement.

I'm sure experienced machinist are enjoying my rookie escapades, can't pass up a learning experience no matter how bad it looks.

Looks like you are nearly there, one more blank on some better bearings should give a good part
What about the housing? Braze? (I assume it's cast iron)
mark

Was watching Jody on Welding Tips n Tricks, trying to source aluminum/bronze filler rod.

FYI: Gear blank base metal machines like 6061, stringy. For SoCal hobby machinist, try Max Industries in Gardena, best source for aluminum sheet, plate & round (all extruded, no cast). Not associated with this business.

Last edited:
Still got that hob laying around somewhere? I need to try to make a replacement gear for mine too.

Back