Rockwell serial number?

Wow! That's pretty cool! Did you ever figure out what was causing the heat? From your pics I'm thinking it's a wear or lubrication issue in the pulley gear bushing on the spindle shaft, or possibly belts simply too tight. Tried getting some oil in there?

I have been working on homework and cleaning up the shop lately but I think its belts induced heat. They look newer but I am not sure if they are the correct one or if they are just too tight. Yeah, having a cool thermal imager is helpful in troubleshooting. I knew it was getting hot, just couldn't tell where it was coming from without the TI. Tim

Just something to check, when I went through my headstock, I found the pulley gear bearing was dry. It would turn, but once I got the belt tension off of it I could feel it chatter as it turned. Luckily, I hadn't yet turned it on. There is an oil zerk on it. After applying a generous amount of oil and hand turning it, it loosened right up and felt good. Before loosening the belt tension, though, I couldn't tell.

Just something to check, when I went through my headstock, I found the pulley gear bearing was dry. It would turn, but once I got the belt tension off of it I could feel it chatter as it turned. Luckily, I hadn't yet turned it on. There is an oil zerk on it. After applying a generous amount of oil and hand turning it, it loosened right up and felt good. Before loosening the belt tension, though, I couldn't tell.

I saw the oil cup, I will need to check it when I get close to that point. tim

Well on Christmas, I got bored and did a craigslist search, there are about a dozen across the nation. 3 on the west coast, 2 in the mid west and about 6 on the east coast. They were all over the place in prices 700-3600 and condition. If someone is looking for a RW lathe, they are out there. Tim

Ok, so I tore into the apron and cross slide today, I found the shaft for the clutch worn, both bearings needed replaced and the steel clutch looks like its been through hell but the brass gear was like new??? I found new 603 and 603 1/4 bearings for $20 for the clutch. The worm is not the best, the key is about 1/3 worn along with the lead screw. The half nuts were worn some but not terrible. The gear for the thread dial is almost gone. The crossfeed nut was not original, there was something imbedded into the threads and they looked like they were never ACME threads, and the sliding shaft is real worn but the screw looks excellent. Now I just need to replace some bushings, a few shafts. I sure hope I remember where everything goes.

Oh yeah, why do people insist on using grease on EVERYTHING? When it dries its like chiseling off concrete!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those links. I hadn't considered replacing my bearings, but at $20, I guess I should do it. Even if the old ones are still good, they're 50+ years old.

Made some progress, I was checking the wear on the bed. Its pretty dramatic....you decide!Alignment.jpgwear.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I also did some scraping, this is where I am at. Using Cannode 2243 blue. cross slide.jpg

Alignment.jpg wear.jpg cross slide.jpg

Are you trying the scraping on your own, or do you have some coaching? I'm thinking my saddle is going to need some work on the ways. I expect to eventually try to acquire some skill in scraping. From some of your posts, it sounds like you have access to some experienced people and heavy machines. I'm pretty much on my own. That setup for measuring the ways is nice.

Back