Rockwell serial number?

thenrie,

In my opinion, a BXA is too large for a 12". So it would follow that it would be too large for an 11". I know of a guy in Australia who came across a good deal up here (in the USA) on a BXA and bought it for his Atlas 10". His comment after receiving it was that the extremely high cost of shipping made it financially impractical to return the BXA, so he was going to have to make do. But that he really wished he had bought an AXA. I know two or three people with Atlas 12" who bought BXA and claim that it works. But I always suspected that they would have been happier with AXA and just didn't want to say so.

I have an AXA on my 12" Atlas 3996 (sometimes called the "Commercial). You can now buy oversize 101 and 102 tool holders for the AXA toolpost if you have need to hold 5/8" tooling. The standard holders will hold up to 1/2" although they were nominally designed for 3/8", which is mostly what I use.

Robert D.

I bought the DTM BXA wedge type, I wanted the rigidity that it has over the AXA. We have lathes with both at work and the amount of beef was something that I wanted to see how different it is. It took some milling work to get the post to fit, but I think I am ok so far. I wont know for sure until I get it back together. I still have a lot of teardown and cleanup on the cabinet and spindle to accomplish. Replacing the bed upon reassembly and hot tanking the castings for the carriage and apron sure made it nice to work on. Now I just need to start pressing in bushings, reaming and then reassemble the apron. I am also going to scrape in the saddle, it had some serious wear and was rocking on the bed, much of that was gone and now its just finish up work. School and my day job has been getting in the way of more important things like my lathe project. Tim

Thanks for that info Robert. I have read where others have preferred the AXA over the BXA for South Bend 10", Delta Rockwell 10", and the Atlas 10-12" lathes, but others are on the fence as far as the DR11 and South Bend 13" lathes. The 11" Delta Rockwell is a more substantial lathe than the Atlas, logans, and South Bends of similar size, though, which is why I asked Tim. I thought I recalled he had bought a BXA, and was looking for info from someone with a BXA on a Rockwell 11. Oh well, I'll have to wait until he gets done to find out:whistle:. I think I will pass on this BXA I was looking at and get an AXA. If I find it too small, which I doubt, I'll put it on my South Bend 9A and get a BXA for the Rockwell.

Keep at it, Tim. Couple more months and I may be out in your neck of the woods.

Ok, so the drawbar is like 2' long, how do I go about shortening it? What else do I need to do to make this fit? It a nice unit but where should I start with this project? Tim

Ok, so the drawbar is like 2' long, how do I go about shortening it? What else do I need to do to make this fit? It a nice unit but where should I start with this project? Tim

You're right. That won't fit your lathe. Just send it to me and I'll take good care of it.:lmao:

Well I have been trying to get ahold of Dick Triemstra to get the last parts that I know I need, for some reason he has not been answering the phone. Frustration is setting in...

I recently sent emails to both Joe and Dick and didn't get a reply from either one. Busy, I guess.

So I found that in the Rockwell manual, it says that you are supposed to bore the head piece of the turret tailstock so it will be matched to the spindle bore. Upon further research, I was able to find out that I can machine the base and make a new top piece and have a useable piece. Now I just need to find a mill large enough to make new parts! :roflmao: and modify the base to fit my bed...

Back