Rol-A-Lift, or Pallet Truck

Manual Artisan

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Could anyone lend me one? I need to move my Series 2 bridgeport, and it's too heavy for anything I have and too low on the ground for me to lift it (only have 1/2" of clearance). Trying to figure out the best way to move it into a shaded area before the rain starts to come in.

That's a good idea! Thank you for that, I do have steel pipes but I'm still trying to figure out how to get it up high enough for them to get under. I have a 5,500 pound pallet jack, but it's jaws start at 3-1/2" high, and that means I have to get this up 3 inches off the ground for the forks to fit under it... This is like trying to play Tetris when you can't see the shapes at all lol.

Many options

One is to tap the mounting holes to allow lifting foot.

You could rent an engine hoist, safest option.

With prybar and many small blocks and spacers you coukd pry up a corner and add spacers.

Lower table to bottom and tilt head to make center of gravity as low as possible.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Machinery movers would generally use a stevedore's bar to get it up an inch or so, using step blocks or wedges to keep it up and then slip a low profile dolly under it, getting it roughly at the center of gravity, when it can be wheeled by one person on level ground. I made such a dolly with 1/2 X 6" flat bar, bent with a hydraulic press into a U shape with projecting axles with 8" iron wheels that kept the framework 1/2" off the floor. I first saw a mover use one perhaps 20 or so years ago, moving a S1 BP down a hallway and through a 36" doorway without removing the table.

Machinery movers would generally use a stevedore's bar to get it up an inch or so, using step blocks or wedges to keep it up and then slip a low profile dolly under it, getting it roughly at the center of gravity, when it can be wheeled by one person on level ground. I made such a dolly with 1/2 X 6" flat bar, bent with a hydraulic press into a U shape with projecting axles with 8" iron wheels that kept the framework 1/2" off the floor. I first saw a mover use one perhaps 20 or so years ago, moving a S1 BP down a hallway and through a 36" doorway without removing the table.
Do you have a link or pictures to the dolly you made? I have the ability to make a dolly, I'm just running out of time to get this done.

I have several long heavy spud bars and a couple of heavy duty tire irons for my backhoe and large truck tires. Worth there weight in gold when you need to lift or scoot something that's several thousand lbs. However you decide to approach it take your time, and get everything as low as you can. Knee all the way down, and flip the head and rest it on the table. Not always necessary, but if it's your first rodeo, better to get all the advantage you can. Mike

Last edited:
Back