Rolling Shop Shelf

Ray C

Registered
Registered
Here's a quick little knock-out today. 3/4" thin wall tubing, some 3/4" angle iron, 4 roller wheels and some 3/8" plywood. Holds all the collets and plan to put some racks on the bottom to hold the lathe chucks etc... Rolls real nice. Now this is my kind of shop"ing" cart...

ShopCart.jpg

Here's a quick little knock-out today. 3/4" thin wall tubing, some 3/4" angle iron, 4 roller wheels and some 3/8" plywood. Holds all the collets and plan to put some racks on the bottom to hold the lathe chucks etc... Rolls real nice. Now this is my kind of shop"ing" cart...

I think I'd make getting those chucks on the bottom shelf a priority.
It looks pretty top heavy at the moment, and I could imagine that just a small piece of debris getting under one of the wheels while you were pushing it could cause it to tip.

I can see that the stuff on the top is nicely to hand though.

M

Oh, it will certainly get some bottom ballast -and lots of it. LOL, I think the total wheel capacity of 900lbs exceeds the 3/4" square tubing...

I'm waiting for the paint to dry because the racks I'm making to hold the chucks will be adjustable and hold them at a slight angle. At the moment, those collets and all other miscellany on the shelves weigh next to nothing ...25-30lbs maybe. The chucks, rotary table, indexer... probably 350lbs.

Anyhow, the idea is to share this cart between the lathe and mill. One side with lathe stuff and the other with mill stuff and it will only need to roll a few feet between the two.

-The quest to utilize space goes on!

I think I'd make getting those chucks on the bottom shelf a priority.
It looks pretty top heavy at the moment, and I could imagine that just a small piece of debris getting under one of the wheels while you were pushing it could cause it to tip.

I can see that the stuff on the top is nicely to hand though.

M

any flat surface in a shop will attract stuff . . :) good idea

Back