Rong Fu Clone (HF33686) head movement question

Yes - mine are the same - the nuts on the opposite (right hand side facing the mill) are the ones that I think need some help. I need to really put some huge ft/lbs to get it tight.

You're talking about the nuts that these bolts screw into?

Attachments

• 8AC58BDB-CB7E-44D9-A058-3676E0489008.jpeg
    8AC58BDB-CB7E-44D9-A058-3676E0489008.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 20
Yes - the "heavy duty head lock nuts". I use a 1/2" lug nut wrench that has an extension and I have to have the full ~24" of that to get enough torque to get it tight. I may just get a battery powered impact wrench, but it seems that it should not take quite that much to get the thing to stop moving. When I replace the motor I will take a better look as it is up against the wall now and it is hard to really see what is going on.

Here you go, man!

I don't have time to teach everyone how to fish, so here is a free fish!
Thanks - just ordered the set. Shipping on the studs was nuts from McMaster Carr so I got those from Amazon.

Thanks - just ordered the set. Shipping on the studs was nuts from McMaster Carr so I got those from Amazon.
They make a substantial difference in holding power, not to mention applying even clamping through the spherical flange nuts. Fixed my problems for good. My friend owns my old RF-31 now, and he's happy with it too. Fairly cheap fix. Let us know how it works out, sounds like you are seeing the worst of it (head movement) on your end.

Will do - I plan to do a full write up of the VFD install (including control panel) and the other mods.

I have had my RF30 clone for more than forty years and never had a problem with not being able to tighten the head clamping bolts. I would pull the bolts one at a time and check/chase the threads. The nuts should spin on freely. While they're out,check the length of the thread. The P.O. may have replaced them with bolts with a shorter thread length. My bolts are 9" long and have 2" threads with a little less than half engaged. Finally, check the gap between the split halves for an obstruction that would prevent clamping. I tighten with a 13" box wrench. Typical torque is 30 -35 lb.ft.

I have had my RF30 clone for more than forty years and never had a problem with not being able to tighten the head clamping bolts. I would pull the bolts one at a time and check/chase the threads. The nuts should spin on freely. While they're out,check the length of the thread. The P.O. may have replaced them with bolts with a shorter thread length. My bolts are 9" long and have 2" threads with a little less than half engaged. Finally, check the gap between the split halves for an obstruction that would prevent clamping. I tighten with a 13" box wrench. Typical torque is 30 -35 lb.ft.

Well I can't turn them more than one full turn when loosening. Must be really galled up. When my replacement bolts arrive I will get them off one way or another as they won't be going back on. I will also check the gap to make sure it is clear. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a sloppily fitted gib.

Back