Rotary table dial questions

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I used the rotary table to drill 4 holes for a backplate . Phase 2 90:1 , started at “0” on both the table and handwheel dial , when I went to the second hole 90’ I was expecting the handwheel dial to end up back at “0” . Drilled it anyway , at 180’ the dial was back to “0” off again at 270’ After I was done I tried to figure how many turns for each , so to get from 0 to 90 I would need to turn 22.5 turns , then at 180 45 turns , 270 67.5 turns . I’m assuming that’s why it wasn’t going back to “0” at 90 and 270’ ? The holes came out correctly spaced and chuck fits well . Just trying to learn for next time . Ive only used the rotary table a few times .

Attachments

• 8F555F6F-A76A-4F4B-9047-6ADBAFF39530.jpeg
    8F555F6F-A76A-4F4B-9047-6ADBAFF39530.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 40
The first thing I did when I got my Phase II was to remove the hand wheel and install a dividing plate. I know where the
hand wheel is so I will have to take a look at it. The dividing plate has a pin to set angles exactly.

OK, I went and dug it out and cleaned off the dust. It looks to be calibrated in degrees and minutes.P1030369.JPG
The wheel is divided into four quadrants labeled 0,1,2, and 3. Each quarter turn falls on one of the numbers and
would be one degree of rotation. There are 60 marks between each of the four numbers so that would be dividing
each degree into minutes. Using the dividing plate gives you everything the wheel does and more.

P1020122.JPG
Here is a custom made dividing plate I made with spacing unavailable on the standard plates. So far I have found no
reason to install the wheel so it can go back in the drawer from whence it came.:dunno:

You have 4 holes so 90/4=22.5 turns
6 holes would be 90/6=15 turns

Still trying to figure what the 22.5 turns and 67.5 would show up on the hand dial

You would use the degree marks on the wheel and ignore the minutes and still have to count turns.

The more I’m thinking if i started at Zero then moved the 22.5 turns the dial should go to 2 at 90’ then back to zero at 180’ at 45 turns , back to zero at 67.5 turns the dial should be at 2 ?

If you dial is in 60 divisions, you would turn 22.5 turns which should have 30 showing on the dial.

I think I’m going to take the rotary table back out and try to rotate it around and watch the dials again . I might have more questions, I ordered a BS-0 clone dividing head and it’s supposed to be here next week

Why even consider using the index plates? Just use the handwheel and dial. There are markings on the table to show the number of degrees. Just dial in the angle and confirm by checking the divisions on the table. The dial on the handwheel will be on zero for the first and third holes and at 2* for the second and fourth hole.

That’s what I was thinking . I don’t have any indexing plates for the rotary table . But I’m sure I’ll have some questions when I get the dividing head lol

Back