Rotary Table Pallet Layout?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi gang,
I hope you and yours are well.
I'm in the process of laying out a 11" X 1" piece of aluminum. There is a centering lug on the bottom and 4 t-slot mounting screws.
Other than that my canvas is open.
Since I don't have any experience with this, I don't know the best way to lay out the holes for mounting parts and/or my 2" machinists vise.
The pallet shown below is an example I found on Google images.
I'm also thinking it would be good to provide reamed holes for pins to butt the vise against when the RT is zeroed and parallel to the milling machine table X axis??
I appreciate your ideas and opinions.

Attachments

• RT pallet.jpg
    RT pallet.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 31
I chose to leave the pallet uncommitted, and just add whatever features were needed for the next task. The reference edges are a good idea, I should do that.

Any reason why it needs to be round? I recently built something similar along with a set of toe clamps, but mine is rectangular. The larger holes are for mounting and indicating to a rotary table, and the offset in the bottom allows it to be mounted in a vise. Not in the shop right now, but best of my recollection is I laid out all the holes on 1" centers. All the smaller holes are drilled and tapped to 1/4-20.

IMG_0274.jpg IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg

Regards

No, the hunk of aluminum i have is round. It hangs over the table 1/2". It would be nice if it was an inch or more for clamping versatility.

I totally agree with the concept of leaving metal full size until it needs to be cut for a project, and the same for tooling. You can always make it smaller if and when needed, but it is a lot more difficult to make it bigger. And, yes, oversize plates are quite useful. Think outside the box.

That said, having a plate already laid out with an existing bolt pattern can certainly make new jobs quicker to finish, if they will fit the plate. Do you think you have the spare time to make fixtures now or think you will you have more time later?

Do you think you have the spare time to make fixtures now or think you will you have more time later?
I have very little time and this is a hobby. I can see advantages either way.

No, the hunk of aluminum i have is round. It hangs over the table 1/2". It would be nice if it was an inch or more for clamping versatility.
I seem to vaguely recall once seeing a round one (on youtube I think) that still laid out the hole pattern in a grid. Personally, I think if I were going to make a round one, I'd orient the holes radially like the picture you posted. I can't think of a functional reason, but I think it would look better.

Regards

S and S machine sells aluminum tooling plate that is the cut out of a bearing they make. They make great fixture plates for rotary tables. These are the only metal they sell. Check out their web site for more information.

I have a little 5" one for my Sherline 4" RT. Theirs is laid out in a grid. I guess I could see some benefit to both the grid and radial patterns. I've considered making one for my 6" RT so will be watching to see how yours goes.

1589416446049.png

While it is much smaller, some of the points in the description for the Sherline plate may be worth considering, things like not tapping the holes all the way through so you don't mar the surface of your RT with screws that are too long.

Sherline 5" RT tooling plate

I wonder if you could find a pattern that has elements of both cartesian and radial patterns?

Back