Rotary Table Question on Designs / Versatility

D. Kent

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello H-M Friends. I'm a new owner of a Lagun FT-1 manual vertical mill (and a newbie) and as I browse tooling and accessories at the wee hours of the night when I can't sleep; I'm seeing a few different designs, so thought I'd ask about folks' experience and recommendations. The Lagun table size is (44X10). I don't have a specific project or parts that I'm making- just thought I'd figure out what would be a good fit and then keep my eyes peeled for a decent priced one.

Some obvious design differences:
Horizontal and vertical mounting surfaces
Radial vs. Grid pattern slots, etc
Rotary + "X-Y" slides on top.
Others?? maybe the turn ratio between hand wheel and table.

Just curious if there is any advice? Seems like the more simple the rotary table, the better, less degrees of possible freedom, but thought I'd ask from those of you with some experience. I'm not in a rush to go and purchase one, just curious if there are any specifics that make one better than another, given features? Yes, condition is everything- but that being equal, what would you be looking for today in a rotary table?

Thanks for your input and advice.

I have a 12” Bridgeport table, possibly it’s a good reference standard, with plenty of smaller features like a table lock, quick release, large vernier dial in seconds. I think diameter and mass are the most critical features to consider…but it can be overdone. The 12” is about the limit of what is manageable to get on and off, and while I have the factory angle plate for it, I’ve never tried to set it up.

For most work that needs some kind of rotation or indexing, I use either a 5” dividing head or a 5C spin indexer.

But occasionally the 12” is the only tool that can do the job.

I kind of let opportunity guide me. A 10” RT w/ vertical mount came up used for $200 so that’s what I got. Mine is a mill drill so that’s probably overkill for it but it has come in handy several times now so I feel I got my $$’s worth. Its over 100#’s so I rigged up a chain hoist to move it.

My brother gave me a Palmgren 8”xy table and it is by no means stiff enough for the mill. But it’s great on my drill press.

I had a couple of projects only a RT would do and I see other things like a good index head or spindex as higher on the list depending on what you want to do.

I have one of the usual import 8" horizontal/vertical rotary tables, a 16" K&T rotary table, and a 12" Van Norman. I initially bought the 8" H/V new and found it to be a bit small for a lot of work by the time you get set up for clamping, etc. The 16" K&T, at 300 lbs, is useful on my 9000 lb K&T vertical mill but ridiculous for anything smaller. The 12" Van Norman was a bargain at $50, and I'm playing with making a digital servo controller for it, and expect it to be my main goto table for horizontal work but I wouldn't care to try mounting it vertically.

On a 40x10 mill, I'd suggest a 10" H/V would be my ideal size if I could only have one.

If you had some idea what you intend to make it would help making a choice between a rotary table or a dividing head/indexer. For making gears you want a dividing head
Depends on what you want to do

If you have a project get what you need to do that project.

If you don't have a project pick up tooling as it comes along for a really good price. You'll know you're doing it right when the guy you're buying from just keeps loading your truck up with stuff you didn't pay for and don't really know what it is....

John

You'll know you're doing it right when the guy you're buying from just keeps loading your truck up with stuff you didn't pay for and don't really know what it is....
Hard to believe but had that happen too.

My opinion only, the more slots the better, and H/V of a reasonable size/ with a tailstock.

My mill is smaller then yours. I have a Grizzly 6" RT with tail stock and a $60 5C spin indexer. Between the two, I have not found anything I can't do. I do plan on getting a Vert/Horiz 5C collet chuck to speed up some setup times.

Back