Rotary Table Question on Designs / Versatility

A horizontal - vertical RT is the most versatile. I would go for a used RT of a quality brand. Dividing plates are not necessary. I just dial in the degrees. With dividing plates I always worry about forgetting to move the sector or forgetting where I am at. Buy a larger RT than you think you need. Clamps take up a lot of the table space.

The RT with cross slides above can be useful, unfortunately they are extremely high and limit the height of work you can machine. The other downside is their extreme weight. You aren't going to set one on the mill table by hand.

I got a 10" rotary table, and it sits on a shelf because it's so heavy. My 8" table is a lot easier to move.

I like to keep a vise and a rotary table on the mill all the time. Generally, one or the other will do what you want, and leaving them in place is a big convenience. Some people think leaving rotary tables on mill tables will bend them, but it's a myth.

I thought this was pretty good.

With a large mill like yours, I'd think it is worth getting some variety.
A large rotary table that can take full advantage of your mill is going to be heavy and expensive. Picking up a smaller 6 or 8" rotary table will be much easier to use, and provide you with some experience before jumping in with both feet for a big RT.

A 6" RT generally runs $200-800 new, and weighs around 25-40lbs.

A 12" RT will cost you $1000-2000+ new, and weighs probably 150-200lbs

On price figure 50% of new for a good deal on a decent used RT.

A 6" is much smaller than your mill can handle, but is much easier on the budget and your back. If you look for one that can be used horizontal and vertical and has dividing plates it could be a very versatile piece of tooling for you. After you've used it for a bit you will have a much better idea what to look for in a larger RT or if you really even need a larger RT.

I built a rotary table um, 33 years ago... and have yet to actually machine anything on it... YMMV.

Now, a -dividing head-! That's gotten more use. Even more on the 5C indexer...

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

When the rotary tables gets above 8" in size it is more useful as a vertical-axis only.
So, I have a 10" RT that is almost never off my milling table (it holds my vise)
And, I have a 6" RT with a variety of accessories for holding things that is used only in the horizontal-axis setup.

This one is 10", not very slotted, but can be mounted horizontal and vertical positions, $350. Seems worth it and I need an angle plate, this table doubles well.

Attachments

• D1C2DADD-3F11-48AC-AB3F-D79E883612B0.jpeg
    D1C2DADD-3F11-48AC-AB3F-D79E883612B0.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 13
I have a 12" Bison RT that came with dividing plates. I use it rarely. Unless you have a 'need' I'd put an RT way down the list of tooling a new mill owner should be shopping for. That said, H/V and table room. Slots or screw holes matter little - you can always make a plate to go on top of whatever you have.
GsT

Back