Rotary table tail stock question...

It allows you to machine a spline, slot or keyway in a tapered part. When you tilt the dividing head it allows the center to be in alignment with the head so that the surface of the taper is then parallel to the table surface allowing a cut to be made parallel to the tapered surface. This is if I understand the offset description, ie. tilted uphill or downhill. I edited this to hopefully be a little easier to understand. I knew what I was trying to say, just didn't say it very well earlier.:phew:
Darrell

Last edited:
I have a 12 inch rotary table that has a tail stock for mounting shafts on centers.
The tail stock is not a simple 60 degree center but the point is offset upward
about 1/8 inch from the top of the tail stock shaft. There must be a reason that
a simple cone center is not used. I can see no advantage in this but would like
to know the answer as I am building a shorter version to mount shafts using my
spin index. What is the advantage in an offset center???:pondering:

I don't think I seen a center for a rotary table. I have seen centering plugs for one. But if you have a center with a flat it is for cutting to or near the center.

If you have a Dividing Head try to turn the flat toward the cutter so the tool pressure pushes against the rest of the center.

I don't think I seen a center for a rotary table. I have seen centering plugs for one. But if you have a center with a flat it is for cutting to or near the center.

If you have a Dividing Head try to turn the flat toward the cutter so the tool pressure pushes against the rest of the center.

Bill, I have a horizontal/vertical rotary table that came with a tailstock. Good advice about alignment of the flat. I have read and reread the ops description and looked at google images. Hopefully he will weigh in here but I now believe the center is just offset above the centerline of the spindle and f350ca had the right answer to his question. Cutter clearance. My post was off on another tangent.:nuts:

Darrell

Thanks everyone!! I get it!

Now I think this way: With it offset to the top and tipped up, one has WAY BETTER
access with a wheel type tool on the tail end. I was guilty of non outside the box
thinking I guess, only thinking of an end mill.

OK, I"m off to the shop to machine an offset shaft and finish up on the
tail stock project. I will post a photo when it gets complete.

What a great forum, you guys are tops!

Last edited:
Back