Rotary table worm gear Lubrication

Tornsteel

Registered
Registered
Hello. New guy all around here.

I'm cleaning up a 8" Craftsman Rotary table with X and Y axis. I was trying to figure out what to use (lubrication wise) for the worm gear. It is not inclosed under the table. I was thinking maybe some kind of grease? I read some had suggested a Red #5 grease from Napa. The gear is steel. I would like to have it turn easy.

My question is: what lube to use on the worm gear?

Also if anyone has any knowledge about this rotary table I would have an idea of how old and it's quality for using with a mill. Oh yea. I just got it the other day for $50!

Thanks a bunch.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. New guy all around here.

I'm cleaning up a 8" Craftsman Rotary table with X and Y axis. I was trying to figure out what to use (lubrication wise) for the worm gear. It is not inclosed under the table. I was thinking maybe some kind of grease? I read some had suggested a Red #5 grease from Napa. The gear is steel. I would like to have it turn easy.

My question is: what lube to use on the worm gear?

Also if anyone has any knowledge about this rotary table I would have an idea of how old and it's quality for using with a mill. Oh yea. I just got it the other day for $50!

Thanks a bunch.

Sean

Hi a picture of it might help to figure it out! Someone else may know what lube to use, I really hate to use grease on my machines, because all the swarf from cutting sticks to it and stays there!

Bob in Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:
You mention the worm is steel, that being said, I would think you could use a variety of lubricants. From what I understand, the bronze or brass worm gear assembly can be damaged by certain types of lubes. Might be worth checking into that.

Is it a sealed rotary table? Mine is and has a drain plug. The instructions say to use non-detergent 20 or 30W oil. When the time comes, I'll put hydraulic oil in there -the same stuff I use in all my gear boxes.

Ray

Thanks guys. Here is a pic of it. Also dose any one know what lube is safe for the brass bracket in the pic?IMG_1578.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Or what about a good synthetic 80w-90 for the worm?

- - - Updated - - -

No Not sealed. What about a good synthetic blend 80w-90?

IMG_1578.jpg

I was going to recommend the gear lube but based on the picture it would just run out the base and make a mess. I try to avoid using grease for the reasons mentioned but in your application its probably the way to go.

Thanks guys! Palmgran, that's awesome! Wow. I just so happend to use some white lithium in a can on it already. Just not the worm. As for the cleaning I used steel wool and some foil with oil. It had some surface rust on the table. I tried to clean it the best I could and then used some reverse electrolysis on the table. Cleaned some more and it is smooth as silk. Just has some discoloring. I was watching one of the members video here about centering a rotary table ( very nice btw). Low and behold, I found out what that center plug that came with it was for. Thanks again for the help. This was exactly what I was looking for. If anyone has anything to add please do.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks guys! Palmgran, that's awesome! Wow. I just so happend to use some white lithium in a can on it already. Just not the worm. As for the cleaning I used steel wool and some foil with oil. It had some surface rust on the table. I tried to clean it the best I could and then used some reverse electrolysis on the table. Cleaned some more and it is smooth as silk. Just has some discoloring. I was watching one of the members video here about centering a rotary table ( very nice btw). Low and behold, I found out what that center plug that came with it was for. Thanks again for the help. This was exactly what I was looking for. If anyone has anything to add please do.

Thanks

Sean

Hey thats why I wanted a picture, I have the exact same rotary table, and it is a palmgren! Pretty good table for the money! I just like you, purchased it used off a guy on craigslist! Cleaned it up just like you did, I did purchase a cheap 3 jaw chuck, and made a pilot stub shaft to line it up on the table! Makes it way easier to get it dialed into the center when installing the chuck! Needed the chuck so I can put a o-ring groove, on my bushing driver handles!

Bob In Oregon

That's awesome Bob. I don't know if I mentioned it but I went to buy some endmills off of a guy on Craig's List and told him what else I was looking for. He said no at first. But then remembered that he had a rotary table underneath his work. That kind of score never happens to me. :cool2:

Back