Rough finish.

@mikey thanks!!! I'm learnign by doing which is the way I learn the best :D
I'm experimenting with tool angles and it does make a huge difference, I have a small set of diamond files I'm using to hone for now and they aren't working great.

Take some close up pics with good lighting and different angles so we can see what you're working with. I assure you that getting the tool angles right will make a HUGE difference in how the tool cuts. Keep in mind that none of us are expert at this stuff in the beginning; I can attest to that fact personally.

Its nice to see you enjoying the process, Vimes. Few things help you to grow like hobby machining, that's for sure.

photos!! the first three are top then side then front, the next one is on the other end of one of the first but the same top -> side -> front

IMG_20181124_213030.jpg

IMG_20181124_213050.jpg

IMG_20181124_213239.jpg

IMG_20181124_213302.jpg

IMG_20181124_213313.jpg

IMG_20181124_213329.jpg

Not me , I don't worry about it at all ! Just giving free advise to someone asking to learn . I preset all my tools and never have to check them . Some people aren't fortunate enough to be able to do this , or work with a scale or obtain a height gage . This is a cheap alternative to all .
Are you saying that some people have enough money to buy a lathe yet not enough to buy a simple ruler?

photos!! the first three are top then side then front, the next one is on the other end of one of the first but the same top -> side -> front

Okay, that explains a lot. Looks to me like the sequence is back side, top and front. Let's take them one at a time. Before we go on, let me be very clear. I am not criticizing YOU; I am critiquing the tool and telling you how I would fix it, okay?

Let's look at the bottom tool in the first pic. See how the top of the tool slopes downward towards the tip? That is called negative rake and it greatly increases the cutting forces the tool produces; this is not good. What you need is for the top of the tool to slope the other way, so that the tip is higher in front. See the pic below to see what I mean.

CRW_4592.jpg

The same tool in the third pic shows that downward slope; this is called negative back rake. We can also see that the top is slightly angled toward the back side of the tool; this is called side rake and the angle on your tool is going in the right direction but it will work better if the angle is greater like this:

IMG_4595.jpg

The relief angles, those sloping angles below the cutting edge, need to be at least 8 degrees or so; 12-15 degrees will work even better.

You also want to put a small nose radius at the very tip, like this:

IMG_4645.jpg

Once you correct all the angles, get them smooth and flat with your diamond hones. You want the edges sharp enough to slice newsprint. Stone the nose radius on with the hones; it is easier to do it that way instead of using your grinder.

The second tool has a better overall outer shape but the tool angles are difficult to see. It looks like it doesn't have much in the way of relief or rake angles; this tool will not cut well.

Looking at these tools, it isn't surprising that you're having trouble turning steel. The good thing is that the problems are simple to correct in a few minutes. I suggest you have a look at this discussion first so you have an idea of what you're trying to achieve: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-grind-a-hss-turning-tool.52581/. Then try to correct your tool angles and post pics so we can refine them. Once we get the tool angles right, you'll have a much easier time turning. The tool will cut more accurately and finish much better, trust me.

Back