Rough Internal Thread Fix??

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
ok, here's the issue. I have a old reloading press (Hollywood) that is made entirely of cast iron the threads for the reloading die are 7/8-14. the threads are really rough. little tiny chips and a rough texture. I think it sat in a barn for a lot of years. they will work forever the way that they are but I don't like looking at the threaded hole. (only one hole to fix) what I did so far is to degrease thourghly and load the threads with acraglass epoxy fortified with atomized stainless powder. put release agent on the die and screw it in. still doesn't look good. a lot of the epoxy ripped out when removing the die. I see that Loctite makes a thread repair kit. anyone try this and get good results??. now here's the silly question. all that I know about soldering is the basic stuff. but , if there was a way to flow the solder into the threads with the die inserted and not stick the die; that would be the perfect fix. I don't know if there is anything as a release agent for this. wondered if I use a low melt solder; and heat up the housing after it hardens and then remove the die. I do have a 7/8-14 tap. didn't go on gunsmithing forum because more of you guys read this section

porthos

Why not instead start looking at the damaged threads as provenance and patina? You said it still works. Just smile every time you use it and think of all the other people who have used it over the years. Preserve it like it is, it has earned it's battle scars and still lives on. If you keep messing with it you might damage it beyond useful repair. Remember the Hippocratic concept of "First do no harm."

I've seen lots of sharp V threads in cast iron with the crest rough or chipped. Cast iron works best as a large mass.
Wouldn't worry as long as the rest of the thread is good.

Back