Round Belting

$750 aint gonna happen. LOL

The only application that I have seen them used for is conveyor roller drives.
http://www.durabelt.com/images/belts.gif

Many new conveyor installations do not use belt drives but powered rollers.
One roller may drive several non powered rollers, this eliminates the line shaft and drive, they are controlled by a controller that allows a small section in the middle of a line to stop when a signal is sent, this is a great advantage in a large system.

Last edited:
The original article was round leather belting, once common for low power transmission; they were joined by something that looked like a hog ring, except they were not sharp on the ends, I have also seen these belts joined by soft brass wire, laced through sideways holes in the ends of the belt. There is a special plier type punch to make the holes for both types of lacing. I think that it is still available, one thing it is used for is old fashioned sewing machines.

My friend's engraving pantograph used them in about 5/16 size or so. Supposedly you can weld them with a scarf joint and hot knife, although he was unsuccessful in his attempts.

-frank

Has anyone ever used these?
If so how do you connect them?
https://www.mcmaster.com/#urethane-round-belts/=1e1fp2g

This is what I use for connecting.

9b72643975fca869c49e66ef25693d77.jpg

I got the hollow style for my Gorton engraver. Came with a few double ended plugs to joint the ends.

Super glue. I use it all the time making my own o’rings out of stock. I don’t know what kind of tension it will take. But I’d guess it would hold. That’s where super glue works for shear strength.

You can also use a wood burning tool with a flat tip. Fixture one end of the belt in a vise or clamp. Hold the other end in one hand and the wood burner in the other. Put one side of the flat tip on the end of the belt in the vise and touch the other end to the top of the wood burner. When both sides start to melt slip the burner from between them and hold the ends together until they cool. When cool use a nail clipper to dress the mushroomed joint.
We used this process for hundreds of joint repairs and belt replacements.

Back