Round Fixture plate for a mini mill?

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm planning on building a small fixture plate and 4 strap clamps, the problem is(I'm not even sure if it's a problem) the plate I have is a round piece of Aluminum with a diameter of 6" ,1" thick.
All the videos and diagrams /plans I've found on the net use a rectangular plate, probably because it is easier to quickly square it with a try square, but why not use a round plate?

I thought I could later add a strip of 4"x2"x3/4" aluminum to the back of it to clamp the whole thing in the vise or use that to square up the plate on the mill table.
Does anyone see anything wrong with the idea of using a round plate? it'll have more surface area than if I cut it up to make it rectangular.
Please let me know what you think of it.
Thank you.
Ken.

Ken, on something like this I think you need to do what works and makes sense for you. What is the worse that could happen, you need a square or rectangular one and just need to make. Then you'll have a round and a rectangular. I say go for it.

Ken, are you thinking about a finger plate or something larger? This is a finger plate:

finger_plate.gif

It allows you to hold small items securely for drilling, milling or filing. The edges are square so you can clamp it in a vise. I know at least one guy who is working on one right now.

If this isn't what you're after, then form follows function - what does the fixture need to do? That will determine what it must look like.

Last edited:
Great replies .
Randy, I like your attitude, what could go wrong really, I'd say nothing at all, . if everyone made them round on youtube, I would ask if it could be made rectangular lol.I'm going to go for it.
Mike, the clamp is exactly what I'm planning on making but the plate I have in mind has 4 row of threaded holes, 1" apart and would be used to hold small, irregular shaped parts. I must admit I like the one in your picture also,it'll work on a mini mill as well.
Bob, the plan was to mount a bar (or two) to the bottom but it all depends on how much space I'll be left with in the Z axis. there's isn't much there to begin with.

Thank you all again for your comments.

Last edited:
Clamp on mill table and mill flats on each side at whatever dimension is a good width for your vice, undercut the sharp corners.

Place in hard jaws in vice and dust off the top, drill and tap holes and you are done. Next time that you use it indicate it to the spindle, if it is not flat enough dust it off again or just do it every time. When it gets to thin to use scrap it and make another, a 6" X 1" aluminum round is not an expensive piece of material.

Like so

Sounds like you want to make one of those sacraficial plates that people often call mini pallets. I think the reason they make them square or rectangle is flat plate stock is cheaper than buying large round stock. That and the square or rectangle can be held in a vise which is also very common.

Good suggestions here, I say go for it, & don't forget to show it off to us!

Wreck, I like the idea , shaving of 1/2" for the 2 flats would mean that only 1/2" will be taken away from Z axis and not the whole 1".my Maximum Spindle Travel is 7"
Great post,thanks.

Last edited:
Make two bars that fit snugly in your table slots and then mount them to the pallet.

Make two bars that fit snugly in your table slots and then mount them to the pallet.
Bob, that's even better but you still clamp the whole thing to the table right? 2 T nuts and a bar across (on either side)should secure it.I love it.

Back