Royal Offset Live Center

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am looking at a Royal offset live center. The item in question has a 3MT arbor and I need a 2 MT for my tailstock. I know I could get an adapter but- does anyone know if the arbor on this is removable and replaceable with a 2MT? If I could get it off I could machine it down.
Any one have one of these? Any ideas?

original.jpg

Thanks
Robert

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
If you open up the main body you should be able to see if it is bored through for arbor. I would guess they are two separate parts. Interesting piece. Is that a face on the lower left of the part with the scale. Mike

this is the one i have and mine is 2 piece you could remove the number 3 and insert a number 2, they work nice instead of a taper attachment

101_0601.jpg

I am looking at a Royal offset live center. The item in question has a 3MT arbor and I need a 2 MT for my tailstock. I know I could get an adapter but- does anyone know if the arbor on this is removable and replaceable with a 2MT? If I could get it off I could machine it down.
Any one have one of these? Any ideas?

original.jpg

Thanks
Robert

An alternative would be to use a straight-sided (not tapered) center in a boring head with a #2 morse taper arbor.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks all. I missed it at auction. Went too high. Some of the stuff was crazy. I watched people bid on used items until they were well above advertised prices for the same item NEW on the internet!
I thought this was a very cool device and would prevent me from having to play with tailstock offset. I know one can also use a boring head like this to achieve the same effect:

s-l1600.jpg
I have never used a tailstock mounted boring head before. Are they superior or inferior to using a boring bar mounted on the toolpost? Seems like it could be better in some ways?
Then it could perform double duty as an offset center.
R

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
that is not what he is saying i don't think, put a center in the boring head and use it like mine to create a taper off set center, instead of a taper attachment.

Back