Rubber grips

Jcwood

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to modify some Pearce rubber grips for my Beretta. I would just plunge and move the cutter in metal. Anyone ever used a cutter on rubber, if so, what kind. I don't want this to grab and launch the grip. Lube? I'll try a razor knife as a last resort but hate to free hand it. TIA John

The only rubber I've ever done was a hub for a propeller. I used a super sharp bit and high speed on my lathe. It literally came off the hub in ribbons. Maybe someone will come a long here and tell us both.

bedwards

Thanks B, I need to use my mill so I can just "trough" the area next to the safety lever. I assume a new smallish two flute ran pretty fast with slow feed would be the way I'd go unless someone can help me through personal experience. Precision is not important other than a nice look. I feel like some sort of lube would be a good idea. Thanks again.

Saw another thread about freezing the rubber first with a can Blow off or dust off. That might work. I wonder what the propellant is in that stuff. I would have thought CO2 but that wouldn't be cold enough would it?

Freezing it is a great idea. Where's some liquid nitrogen when you need it?:LOL:

I suppose you could throw it in the freezer. Get it all setup and jigged up first in the vise. Then freeze it for a couple of hours, then run out to the mill and throw it in the jig setup and mill away. Maybe you could maintain the temp with the dust off propellant as your working, to give you more time.

I have tried cutting rubber on the CNC with varying results. A zero rake tool works better. Fine cutting edges tend to grab. A little like cutting copper or brass. The freezing does help. I went to a local grocery store and got dry ice. Stored the rubber in the dry ice for a few hours and then cut a bit then repack in dry ice. I just left the rubber in place on the jig and packed the ice around it. The rubber warms up fast and you lose the effect of the ice. If you know anyone local with a laser cutter they work great on rubber. Good luck with this I have never gotten what I would call good results from it.

Jeff

It WILL be messy. I had rubber strings everywhere. What didn't string, powdered.

bedwards

Freezing rubber is the old standard way of machining it. Used to could get dry ice at a Dairy Queen. I don't know if they still use it.

Last edited:
According to my wife you can still get dry ice from grocery stores. They use it to pack and ship meat.

-Ron

Maybe one of those small Roto-Zip type cutters in your mill would work.

Back