RUBBER MOTOR WINDER

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
have been looking at these for along time and now that I have the right equip have made one. its a
winder for rubber power model free flight airplanes. took alotta figuring and operations but it turned out very functional.

Attachments

• 100_3883.JPG
    100_3883.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_3884.JPG
    100_3884.JPG
    562.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I love it when a free-flight pilot gets anxious about winding the motor! It's like they have all the patience in the world when it comes to retrieving the plane at the end of a flight, but they gotta get that fawker wound an in the air NOW! Why not 8:1?

Teasing, I love it. I wound a LOT of rubber bands when I was a kid, and destroyed many little balsa mosquitoes made of stick and silkspan.

What I wouldn’t have given for one when building balsa wood kit planes. Would have save my fingers. Nice project. Glad to see not every thing is radio control.

Volare had some that cranked out 10 to one. I dunno if they still have any or not.

Volare had some that cranked out 10 to one. I dunno if they still have any or not.
Im still trying to find that kind of gearing until then will stick with 4-1

Last edited:
It was developed by an 80 tooth bronze gear from England and an 8 tooth pinwire gear.

this brings back some ancient memories.
Your winder looks heavy duty like for bigger outdoor models?
Back in the day, I was doing penny planes and similar indoor models, so we had really small winders.

These were ten cents at any corner store next to the water balloons and cap guns when I was a kid. Ten cents means ten for a dollar, which is a squadron for an epic air war.
No.50SkyStreak.jpg

If you’ve got a 3d printer (I do!), this is a nifty little 15:1 winder to print. I’ll have to give it a shot and let you all know how it goes!

John W
Camp Verde, AZ USA

Back