Rubber wipers?

strantor

Active User
Registered
While refurbishing my CNC mill I found the way wipers are made of rubber sheet. I was expecting felt. The rubber wipers don't seem stamped or precisely cut; maybe cut out with scissors. I suspect a previous owner installed them. Maybe they originally were felt? Is it normal for dovetail way wipers to sometimes be made of rubber? If I make new ones, should I go with rubber again or get some felt?

Rubber wipers are usually standard and considered consumables from what I can gather. I made some out of UHMWPE about two years ago for my lathe and still going strong. Adjusted them about a month after fitting and they will wipe the ways clean of all but a trace of oil.

I wonder if the silicone rubber used in making cooking utensils would be a good material to use.

My Clausing mill had rubber wipers originally.....well worn by the time I got it. I replaced them with rubber 3/16" gasket material from an oilfield supply store. Works great.

On one of my lathes they had formed rubber wipers, Unable to get them any longer so I replaced with heavy duty felt and mad a Alum cover to go over them. seems to work better than the one rubber one I found on the net.

I don't like the idea of felt wipers, though I have some on my machines. I think they are a good way to hold grit and swarf for lapping the ways. Really, I think all types of wipers currently being used can cause problems, but so can not having them at all. We need a better solution...

Bob, someone needs to come up with a magnetic levitation carriage, like the trains use. That way nothing touches and grinds

Bob, someone needs to come up with a magnetic levitation carriage, like the trains use. That way nothing touches and grinds
Yes, but it only works on ferrous metals. No help on grinding grit, non ferrous metals, and other trash that gets on the ways. How about an enclosed air blast and suction combination? Well, maybe the air blast would cause more damage than it stops...

The American Pacemaker lathes had rubber wipers in an aluminum housing, they worked quite well, the Giddings and Lewis boring mills had spring loaded brass wipers with felt pads behind them, they worked very well.

I must say I'm surprised by the replies here, and glad I asked the question. I thought felt was the one and only way wiper material. I would not have guessed that rubber may actually be better. Thank you for all the input!

Back