Rubber wipers?

I wonder...
I have some casting plastic that I bought to cast a new handle for spoolgun before I found an OEM replacement. If I were to build a dam on my ways and cast plastic wipers in place... would that be stupid? Seems like it has the potential to be far more accurate than my hand could ever be, trying to cut out rubber replacements. Casting the wipers in place seems like it could result in a fit so perfect that a speck of dust wouldn't be able to get past it. Kinda like a poured babbitt bearing.

My Craftsman actually has rubber and felt. I guess the felt holds oil and the rubber keeps as much swarf out of the felt as possible.

The way wiper setup for mills can be very different then a lathe, and then add the CNC component. Knee mills and CNC mils will often have sheet rubber, corrugated rubber or sliding metal covers to protect the ways from the majority of swarf. In addition (like my mill) they have rubber wipes underneath the covers so if anything does get through it has a second 2nd barrier. Have not seen felt way wipes used on modern mills, in addition one would want an automated lube system for CNC which should push out any contamination that makes it to the ways. You are dealing with a lot of rapid transits with CNC, so you need to consider a material that will last. The oil retention properties of felt would not be needed with a proper mill way lubrication system.

The manual lathe is somewhat of a different animal, but most modern lathe come with molded rubber way wipes. These tend to deteriorate with time and need to be replaced. Also when using ball oilers for lubrication for the ways it tends to dissipate quickly. My last lathe (PM-1340GT) I cut some heavy felt to go behind the rubber way wipes, these could be oiled to lubricate the ways and grit/swarf was first wiped by the rubber wipe (DiscoDan's approach). On the tailstock which didn't have any way wipes (and I had problems with swarf/grit getting underneath), I made some HDPE wipes that also contained a felt wipe behind it. There were oil channels through the HDPE to the felt wipes. It was a significant improvement, HDPE and UHMWPE is extremely durable and the movement is low and slow. I do share Bob's concern that you need to factor in possible particles getting under the wipes and causing long term wear, In this case rubber may be the best option as it provides a thin lip which is unlikely to trap any contamination under the lip. Lubrication to the way oil channels is also key to pumping out any contamination that gets to the ways.

I don't like the idea of felt wipers, though I have some on my machines. I think they are a good way to hold grit and swarf for lapping the ways. Really, I think all types of wipers currently being used can cause problems, but so can not having them at all. We need a better solution...
Additive machining, no wipers at all (-:

I don't like the idea of felt wipers, though I have some on my machines. I think they are a good way to hold grit and swarf for lapping the ways. Really, I think all types of wipers currently being used can cause problems, but so can not having them at all. We need a better solution...

If the felt wipers catch and hold swarf then they are doing their job no? Much better to have swarf in the felt than between ways and carriage.
Although wipers should not wear quickly, I see them as a maintenance item to be cleaned or replaced when necessary.
Somehow I like the idea of having a felt soaked in oil in constant contact with the ways.
Layered wipers of rubber and felt makes the most sense to me.

Wounder how 3D printed wipers would work?.
I have printed flexible parts using a product called NinjaFlex. It comes is two varieties of flexibility. The most flexible is similar to Silicone, It is also pretty tough stuff so I think it might work.

Last edited:
The printed wipers idea is really interesting. I wonder about the effect of oil on them though. Printed wipers would open another chapter in machine modifications for more then just a few people here and would be another excuse for me to learn a drawing program being I have recently joined the ranks with a 3d printer.

The printed wipers idea is really interesting. I wonder about the effect of oil on them though. Printed wipers would open another chapter in machine modifications for more then just a few people here and would be another excuse for me to learn a drawing program being I have recently joined the ranks with a 3d printer.
I 3D printed a lathe gear for a cutting a specific metric thread 5 years ago. I printed it in nylon. It's been covered in oil from my gear train since day #1 and sits in the bottom of an oily drawer. I haven't used it again but I pulled it out the other day and remarked at how the oil doesn't seem to have had any effect on it at all. Maybe it is weakened and I don't know it, but I did not get that impression. Its has not swelled or softened or disintegrated.

If making your wipers from rubber, be sure to use a grade that is oil resistant.

Back