Running 220v from 110?

INTJ

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I will be moving soon and it's likely I'll have to rent for a while. So is there a converter out there where I could run my 1340 GT and then my 833T with a 110v to 220v converter?

You would have to run a transformer, but could get very expensive depending the amperage needed. You would probably be better off if you could make an extension cord and plug in to a dryer rec, or hook into the breaker panel.

Larry

I figured 5000w would be enough, but all the 5000w units I see only convert to European 220V single phase.

Running a 5kw 120 to 240 volt stepup transformer would require a current draw of around 40 amps which is most likely more than the house wiring could safely supply. It is unlikely that you would need 5kw though. That would be something like a 6 - 7 hp motor. In a situation like this, you would want to only run one machine at a time.

One trick is to find two outlets that are opposite phase and make an adapter. The breaker panels that I am familiar with alternate phase on adjacent breakers. This is so you can tie two together for a 240 volt breaker. You would want to find two outlets that are convenient and physically close to each other. The hot side of each outlet are connected to L1 and L2 on your 240 volt socket and the neutral sides are connected together on the neutral leg of the socket. The ground wires are connected to the ground terminal of the socket.

A better idea may be to ask the landlord if you can run a 240 volt line at your expense. If done properly by a licensed electrician, it will increase the value of his property.

Find 240v, it's there somewhere.

Electric stove are 240 and most places have the outlet. Can use RV cord.
Pierre

The dryer outlet is 240V (as was mentioned). There are available switch boxes that allow switching between the dryer and an electric car charger. Only one can operate at a time, but it avoids unplugging the dryer, and it avoids hacking the house wiring. The box has an input cord and two outlet jacks, and a control to select which has power.

Another possibility is to put a 3 phase motor on the lathe and use a 120V to 240V VFD. Since this would be limited to 15 amps it could theoretically develop 2.4 horsepower but generally the available VFDs are limited to 1.0 or 1.5 horsepower at 120V.

Or put a 120v motor on the lathe. Downsize the motor but keep the same RPM. This will reduce cutting performance but may be adequate for most things.

I figured 5000w would be enough, but all the 5000w units I see only convert to European 220V single phase.
This one got my attention.
Are your machines single phase or 3 phase? they can be ordered either way
This answer will take our answers in completely different directions.

I would doubt if a rental unit would have a 120v outlet that can handle 5000W. That would require a 50A 120 circuit breaker.
3000W will run either machine by its self and would need a 30A 120 breaker. That you MIGHT find in a rental.

Back