Running on a rotary phase converter

SteveStash

Registered
Registered
Anyone running any of their 3 phase PM equipment on a rotary phase converter? I'm looking to get a 3ph 1236T and running it on my 3hp rpc until I convert to a vfd.

My 1340 is temporarily running on a 5hp RPC.

I was running both a 10 hp and 15 hp RPC until lately, when I brought 3 phase power in. Ran Phase converters for at least 15 years and no issues, other than 1 bad bearing and 1 switch on the converter end. No issues with any machines. These were used 5 days a week at least 8 hours a day.

I had one machine that I had to install a heavier magnetic starter. It would trip before the machine started.

I have also found that since I upgraded to 3 phase power, machines start almost instantly. With the phase converter it would take an extra second or two to get up to full speed. But it never caused any issues. I guess I was just used to the way they ran .

Cheers
Martin

I've been using an American Rotary phase converter for several years with no issues at all. Before purchasing, I contacted American Rotary; they advised a unit that had double the horsepower of the largest piece of equipment in the shop. At the time, it was a 4hp lathe, so I rounded up and got a 10hp RPC. Glad I did, because now, I have a 5hp lathe.

I've never had any issues with mine, but based on the manufacturer's advice, you may be pushing a 3hp RPC a little too hard with a 3hp piece of equipment. I think I'd contact the RPC manufacturer for their advice.

Regards,
Terry

I do not know PM equipment very well.

if it has any 120 VAC on it, BE SURE its not using the wild leg. I learned this the HARD WAY. Blew the 120 power feed on my bridgeport years ago.

I've been using an American Rotary phase converter for several years with no issues at all. Before purchasing, I contacted American Rotary; they advised a unit that had double the horsepower of the largest piece of equipment in the shop. At the time, it was a 4hp lathe, so I rounded up and got a 10hp RPC. Glad I did, because now, I have a 5hp lathe.

I've never had any issues with mine, but based on the manufacturer's advice, you may be pushing a 3hp RPC a little too hard with a 3hp piece of equipment. I think I'd contact the RPC manufacturer for their advice.

Regards,
Terry
Just re-read your post. It reads 3 ph 1236T; not 3 hp 1236T. (Read that wrong. Sorry.) From the specs for that machine on ebay, the motor is a 1.5 hp. Based on American Rotary's standard, you should be fine with your phase converter.

Regards,
Terry

Not much cost difference between smaller units, so spring for the 5hp. I run my 2.5 hp mill and big drill press off mine, and the rotary is completely transparent to operation. I just wish I would have gone larger when I did it, now I want a bigger lathe, so I'll need a bigger RPC.

While we're on the subject of RPC's, I have a question for some of our seasoned veterans. Can more than one piece of equipment run on a single RPC at the same time? For example, if I have a 3hp mill and a 2hp 6" sander could both be run simultaneously by different operators on the same 10hp RPC? Just wondering.

Regards,
Terry

While we're on the subject of RPC's, I have a question for some of our seasoned veterans. Can more than one piece of equipment run on a single RPC at the same time? For example, if I have a 3hp mill and a 2hp 6" sander could both be run simultaneously by different operators on the same 10hp RPC? Just wondering.

Regards,
Terry

Yes. Each motor you add to the system increases the starting capacity of the system.

Back