Rustlick Questions

SE18

Active User
Registered
I purchased a gallon of synkool, but before pouring it my bandsaw reservoir I needed some assist.

Instructions indicate mixing with "clean water" 25:1, I believe, for my purpose. It also said beware of freezing.

That leads me to some questions not answered on the jug.

1. What exactly do they mean by "Freezing." ? Does freezing mean that the chemical structure of the fluid changes in an undesirable way or does it mean just a caution that it will expand and possibly damage whatever it is inside of?

2. The next question relates to the first. Instead of tap water, can I mix rustlick with windshield washer fluid (I have a bunch), to stop the contents from freezing?

3. Is there anything else I should mix in not mentioned?

4. The 7x12 HF bandsaw instructions say to remove the coolant from the tank when there's too much metal debris in the fluid. However, they didn't provide a test for that so how do you know when there's too much? Do you just notice that the coolent comes out too slow or too little?

Thanks!

Here are my thoughts, No on the windshield washer fluid, as it is designed to cut grease/oil etc thus it seems that it would negate some of the lub properties of the fluid.
I would hop there is some way to put a filter or something on the pump that way it cleans the metal shavings out of the coolant. Otherwise it seems it would wear on the pump quickly. I have not looked at the HF one to see how it is set up but from the sounds of several threads on here most do some mods to their HFs to start with. Just my 2 cents.

A quick search says the active ingredient in windshield washer is methanol. Hard to say how it would react. You could try a small sample and see if it stays in solution. The alcohol may evaporate quick in the open system and end up freezing anyway.
As for metal contamination, your saw is probably similar to mine where they use a baffled tank to catch the metal. Every few years I suck it out with the shop vac, don't recall any shavings in the pump section.

Greg

Alcohol bonds to water, allowing water to separate from the oil product. This is how people remove the alcohol from "blended fuel": mix in water, alcohol bonds to the water, fuel floats on top.

While it says "clean water", if I need clean I get purified water. It isn't that much cost wise.

Ok, I never though of a multi section tank where the metal could settle out in one and pump would suck from the other . but that is a good idea. I am rebuilding an old band saw and was thinking of trying to add a decent setup to it if needed. looking at ideas.

Thanks for your ideas; I think I might have some distilled water left from the live steam locomotive I built. So it's just plain water and rustlick; but glad I asked; I may look into purchasing a coolent system for my SB9A Lathe someday, now that I think of it. Then I don't have to keep squirting stuff on the piece I'm turning

Just use tap water, the amount of minerals and fluoride( if any ) is certainly not going to harm the coolant in way that you'll notice.
As far as freezing , as said before WW antifreeze will dilute the coolant because of the methanol, empty the system for the winter months, and use a squirt bottle. I live in the north and this is what I do. Never had a problem in 10 years. Keep It Simple.

Back