Rutlands/Long Chang LC-1 project...

I stopped at the local auto body supply store today and bought filler and sandpaper... I'm seriously sick I think.

Well my BP head that was supposed to ship on Wed, actually went out on Fri. The seller is blaming it on the trucking company... as long as it gets here in one piece a couple days doesn't really matter I guess.

I watched your lathe build, so now I will watch this mill build with great interest.

I stopped at the local auto body supply store today and bought filler and sandpaper... I'm seriously sick I think.

Do you have a link to your lathe rebuild that Greg mentions above? I just love to see a project go from before and after. I've read every one I can find and am amazed at the quality and craftsmanship and the love that goes into bringing these fine machines back to their former glory.

And of course I'll be watching you resurrect your mill as well.

Chop, chop! :D

Do you have a link to your lathe rebuild that Greg mentions above? I just love to see a project go from before and after. I've read every one I can find and am amazed at the quality and craftsmanship and the love that goes into bringing these fine machines back to their former glory.

And of course I'll be watching you resurrect your mill as well.

Chop, chop! :D

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/15424-My-Logan-12x24-lathe-project

Enjoy!

I bought some primer, more paint (same smoke gray as the lathe) and more rollers today... tried to buy a 5/8-11 eyebolt for picking up the ram but no luck. May have to order one from McMaster-Carr.

Replacement mill head got here today, only a week late. The trucking company did send it out on a lift gate truck though after I was (politely) pissy with them about it on Tuesday (who sends a non-liftgate truck to a residential address). I never realized how much bigger a Vari-speed Bridgeport head is than a step-pulley head... the thing's enormous. Looks to be in decent shape, and has the only air brake I've seen on a BP. I've seen lots of powered drawbars (which this doesn't have being a QC30 spindle), but never a brake. Also has something bolted over the quill scale which looks to be some sort of indicator holder. More investigation will follow.

I made a shiny spot on the bare aluminum upper head... you know what that means.

Pics...

DSC04331_zps2395b332.jpg

DSC04332_zpsc8d5caa8.jpg

DSC04335_zps54b969ad.jpg

Did a little work on the track car engine this weekend and also started taking apart the new mill head to go through it today. Major assemblies came apart super easy. Everything looks to be in good though incredibly dirty condition. Also looks like it might have gotten a bit damp on the way here, little bit of flash rust on the drive pulleys but comes right off with a little scotchbrite. Motor spins nicely, all bearings feel good, mostly just needs a ton of cleaning and regreasing. While I'm in I'll probably redo the bushings, bearings, and belts as they're not terribly expensive (and I won't have to take it apart again).

Pics as usual...

DSC04351_zps80f4117e.jpg

DSC04350_zps9687f46c.jpg

More done on the mill head tonight, took the upper belt housing apart. Very very dirty but didn't find anything I didn't expect. The bushing in the moveable side of the front sheave is paper thin and had a bunch of slop. Bearings don't feel too bad but I'll replace them all. Belts look old but not in bad shape. Thinking about taking the big castings over to the local auto parts machine shop to have them put through the parts washer cabinet, would save me a bunch of time cleaning.

Pics...

DSCF2109_zps37c89f35.jpg

DSCF2106_zpsdc1b49fc.jpg

DSCF2108_zps178720e5.jpg

DSCF2107_zps9632086a.jpg

More progress has been made, but also some unfortunate discoveries. What I thought might have been a little dampness getting into it from shipping turns out to have been the supplier pressure washing it. While doing so they filled up the cavity where the feed reverse/feed worm shaft goes, turning everything inside into a ball of rust. I had my first warning of bad stuff when I took off the gear housing from the quill housing and found this:

Nice puddle of water... the head had been lying on its side so corrosion was limited to the side of the casting here. A little wirebrushing and metalprep then paint will fix that.

DSCF2110_zps849e863c.jpg

DSCF2136_zpsfd7b901e.jpg

Continued to disassemble, and everything else on the head was pretty decent... until I got to the aforementioned feed reverse/feed worm shaft area. Where I found this:

DSCF2121_zps3823d0be.jpg

DSCF2126_zps5a31f6aa.jpg

DSCF2129_zps8aad2027.jpg

DSCF2130_zps236abd01.jpg

You can see the water in the gear teeth here...

DSCF2134_zpscccbf8c0.jpg

The good part is the machine tool company I bought it from are being stand-up guys and making good on it... it's about $300 worth of destroyed pieces. They haven't paid me yet though.

I'm curious what company you went with. I think I could swap parts/spindles on a head like that. I think you got a good deal and the fact that they are willing to help you is outstanding.

Back