RV antifreeze as non-toxic bandsaw blade coolant and opinions for blade brush.

ironwrx

Registered
Registered
Hi. I just fixed up an old L-9 Wellsaw horizontal bandsaw that I got this past summer. I made a chip tray and sump-tank for the saw, which is working well with the electric pump I put on to flow coolant. My shop is not heated, and I want to keep using coolant/ lubricant in my saw, but here in VT, during the winter months, it gets well below freezing, so I cannot use water based coolants. When I got my saw, I got a PDF of the owner’s manual (which I will include an excerpt from), that talks about what to use for coolant/lube for the blade. My question to you all is, has anyone else used RV antifreeze as a coolant/lubricant in their bandsaw before? Given the slippery feel of this, is it necessary to add water soluble oil to it, or will I be creating a condition that could actually shorten the life of my blades (as stated in the manual)?
Next question, has anyone used a M.K.Morse Tooth Brush on their saw? This looks like a less expensive alternative to the original (and rather expensive) blade chip brush.
2f8d116f141798d5c4b4d6f0f4c66556.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my Marvel hacksaw, it was recommended to use a 50/50 mixture of dark cutting oil and kerosine, which was added to carry away heat. You could tell the difference when enough kerosine evaporated, the cut off parts got quite a bit hotter than with the mixture at proper proportions.

RV “antifreeze” is a bit of a misnomer. In cold temperatures it turns slushy and will even get solid at-25*F or -50*F depending on the concentration you get.

It’s strong point is that it doesn’t expand like water when it gets slushy or solid. It won’t break water lines or faucets. I doubt it will flow as a liquid much below 10*F

RV “antifreeze” is a bit of a misnomer. In cold temperatures it turns slushy and will even get solid at-25*F or -50*F depending on the concentration you get.

It’s strong point is that it doesn’t expand like water when it gets slushy or solid. It won’t break water lines or faucets. I doubt it will flow as a liquid much below 10*F
Who works when it's 10° in the shop?

With my Marvel hacksaw, it was recommended to use a 50/50 mixture of dark cutting oil and kerosine, which was added to carry away heat. You could tell the difference when enough kerosine evaporated, the cut off parts got quite a bit hotter than with the mixture at proper proportions.

Ok. But how well does that work in freezing temperatures? Also, I’m guessing that that mixture might be a bit more offensive to the nose, and a bit more toxic on your hands?

The one I got is rated for -100°F. So I’m thinking it should be ok for my climate. Still unanswered question about whether or not to add soluble oil or not.

I used lots of the stuff for winterizing boats when I had my shop in Michigan. Never left it in the system, always drained and left the cooling system dry except for whatever pockets happened to stay.

The kerosene and cutting oil mix doesn’t sound like it would freeze, happy to be in a place now where I don’t have to worry about such things.

You could always drain the system for winter and use a spray bottle with coolant as needed.

John

years ago, i kept a saw out in the barn. used drained antifreeze from the tractors along with soluble oil for coolant. Worked great, even cut steel below zero.

I used lots of the stuff for winterizing boats when I had my shop in Michigan. Never left it in the system, always drained and left the cooling system dry except for whatever pockets happened to stay.

The kerosene and cutting oil mix doesn’t sound like it would freeze, happy to be in a place now where I don’t have to worry about such things.

You could always drain the system for winter and use a spray bottle with coolant as needed.

John

The idea I have is to use the propylene glycol year round so I don’t have to go through the PIA annoyance of schlepping spray oil around. I just want to know if there’s enough lubricity in the RV antifreeze, or if I’ve got to add some water soluble oil to it?

Last edited:
Back