Ryobi Band Saw From Homedepot

prasad

Active User
Registered
A few months back I got a gift from my son - a Ryobi benchtop bandsaw. It looked good and I was happy that I could retire my hacksaw. I started using it for cutting aluminum and initially it looked fine mainly because of the speed at which it could cut. As I continued I started noticing the cuts were not truly going straight even when I use the sliding guide to clamp the work that I am cutting. I studied many Youtube videos and most recommended I adjust the blade guides at top and under the platform. I have adjusted them and I still find the blade drifts to a side. I never get a cut on a straight line that I want. Let alone cutting an arc. Is there a way to make it work better?

I have almost switched back to hand held hacksaw.

Thanks
Prasad

I have one of those and only use it for wood. The blade just keeps wandering so I have to just cut as close to my lines as I dare and keep shifting part to get blade to cut better. I use it very little since I got an old craftsman for free.

I have one of those and only use it for wood. The blade just keeps wandering so I have to just cut as close to my lines as I dare and keep shifting part to get blade to cut better. I use it very little since I got an old craftsman for free.
Bill

I have tried cutting wood too and it drifts off at angle. I never get it straight ever. Adjusting pins made a small improvement but not like what I see in those Youtube videos. I wonder if there is a way to make it work better.

Prasad

Bill

I have tried cutting wood too and it drifts off at angle. I never get it straight ever. Adjusting pins made a small improvement but not like what I see in those Youtube videos. I wonder if there is a way to make it work better.

Prasad
I think I managed to fix the problem. I readjusted the guides and also replaced the blade. After that I tried cutting circles. It seems to work now. I think the blade was too old. Of course I have to see how long this lasts.

If something is causing the blade to lose the set on one side, it will pull no matter what you do. I'd inspect the wheels as well as the guides to make sure nothing is touching the teeth that shouldn't be.

the problem with mine is the guides don't stay tight. They keep loosening up.

As blades get dull they tend to wander.
When it starts wandering off course again, just put on a new blade.
I agree. It was interesting to see a big difference when I changed the blade. Wish I knew this before. I wasted plenty of time and material..

I have one of those saws I bought several years ago. The guide brackets are made of a cheap die cast casting. So when you get the blade guides adjusted, the casting starts to stretch and distort from the tightening of the square head set screws. Eventually, you will strip out the threads or break the bracket holding the blade guides. Make a new bracket from steel and maybe eliminate the problem. Do what I do, live with it!

I have one of those saws I bought several years ago. The guide brackets are made of a cheap die cast casting. So when you get the blade guides adjusted, the casting starts to stretch and distort from the tightening of the square head set screws. Eventually, you will strip out the threads or break the bracket holding the blade guides. Make a new bracket from steel and maybe eliminate the problem. Do what I do, live with it!

Ken,

Thank you. I see your point. I have observed the guides and set screws. The set screws that hold the guide pins become loose often which confirms your point. I have been checking and re-adjusting them if necessary before I use the saw. I will keep this replacing guides as a project to be done sometime in the near future.

Thank you
Prasad
Eastern PA

Back