Safer Move for Mill Drill?

vanreed

Registered
Registered
I recently built a new cabinet for my sq. column mill drill and faced the dilemma of safely moving it to the new stand. I have seen many pictures on the internet of machines with tow straps or chains wrapped around the column and lifted and wondered how safe that was for both machine and people and wanted to offer this hopefully safer solution.
Jam Nut.jpg

Jam nut on end of inspection light magnet to position nut under holes in base to connect eye hooks. Jam nut just fits in the space between corners of the base on the enco and other imports.

Moving.jpg

Not a great picture (cell phone camera) but you can see the machine is supported at all four corners of the base. Thanks to the generous loan of engine hoist and HF load leveler from my neighbor the move was made relatively easily. Used some 2 x .250 square tubing secured with all thread as spreaders to make sure the chains did not contact any other parts of the machine.

Jam Nut.jpg Moving.jpg

Those chains are probably at least 2x what is required. I was more concerned with the bent-eye style eyebolts instead of forged, closed eye style eyebolts.

Yes, I agree with Tony--I usually weld those eyebolts closed if I have to use them for anything but the lightest of loads. Grind the cadmium plating back a bit before welding!
Bob

You have good eyes and/or a lot of experience. I did get close to the working load limit of the chain but the load was well distributed. All other components, shackles, eyebolts, etc. were rated 4 times or more than the load. Heavier chain was available and I should have used it. I hope no one uses the picture as a visual cue as to what is adequate. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Shock Loading, side loading, component condition or failure can all put you in the danger zone. Good point about the eye bolts. I did have two closed ones available and probably should have used them.

An alternative method requiring less weight to be suspended at one time (which I shall use when my PM version of the 45 arrives in a few weeks), is to break down the mill into its major components...head/motor, table, column/base, then re-assemble onto the cabinet/stand in reverse order.

However no criticism intended of your method, although as someone pointed out, I would have welded the eye bolts closed.

M

It's perfectly fine to heave that type of mill by the gearbox neck. That's how the manufacturer recommends it. Anyhow, your rig seemed OK but possibly a little complicated if anything. That mill weighs around 1000 lbs (+/- 200 depending on model and bed size). Each component in your system looks capable of handling that given a simple-case lift and gentle set-down. But, I think simplicity is the way to go when lifting heavy things. A two ton strap around the neck of that thing (assuming no kinks, fold-overs or wraps) and up and away it goes...

Just an FYI but, I've had far more problems with chain than appropriately rated lifting strap. Strap is far more forgiving in the event of a bounce or the object needs some persuasion into final position. Also, I consider lifting straps to be semi-disposable. I'll use them within reason for a long time but, if they get exposed to any chemicals or if they show signs of fading from sun/weather exposure, I cut them up and thow them out. I also mark them with the date of purchase so they can be destroyed when they get old.

Straps are cheap. Foot and finger amputations and shattered leg bones are expensive.

My old hobby was rebuilding antique diesel engines and generators -where small stuff was 2000 lbs. Which of-course is nothing compared to what professional riggers can deal with...

Ray

You have good eyes and/or a lot of experience. I did get close to the working load limit of the chain but the load was well distributed. All other components, shackles, eyebolts, etc. were rated 4 times or more than the load. Heavier chain was available and I should have used it. I hope no one uses the picture as a visual cue as to what is adequate. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Shock Loading, side loading, component condition or failure can all put you in the danger zone. Good point about the eye bolts. I did have two closed ones available and probably should have used them.

Back