Samstar lathe

sundown57

Registered
Registered
Just picked up a pair of 1440 Samstar lathes. Never heard of them so of course, I had to buy them. now I have to get a larger phase converter to run them. but anyway anyone know anything about this company? are the lathes any good?

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    408.9 KB · Views: 146
but anyway anyone know anything about this company? are the lathes any good?
I haven't a clue , but I would have asked the questions before buying them . I mean , they look like nice lathes . If they run and aren't worn out , I would say their good to go .

I'm guessing "Sam" means they are South Korean- probably decent machines- I wouldn't be surprised if they are
as good as Taiwanese and maybe a little better
Did you get a good deal on the pair?
-Mark

I did get a good deal on them. What little I know is they have been sitting in a warehouse unused for the last 14 years. There is a tag on them that says ( made in the people's republic of Cina) and I found out the hard way they have 7.5 hp motors on them. That's why I'm looking now to buy a larger phase converter.

A lot of people would love to have a bigger lathe like them! And you have two! Half the fun is getting them home, cleaning , getting them wired and making them like new and your own machines. Have fun! I think you did well.
A 10 hp phase converter will handle them no problem.
Cheers
Martin

A lot of people would love to have a bigger lathe like them! And you have two! Half the fun is getting them home, cleaning , getting them wired and making them like new and your own machines. Have fun! I think you did well.
A 10 hp phase converter will handle them no problem.
Cheers
Martin
yeah i just bought a 10hp phase converter. just need to get it installed now. Once i get them both cleaned up and running i plan to sell one of them.

I would inspect them carefully and see if they are identical, not nearly identical.
If they are I would keep them both.
With most Chinese equipment no two are the same...they might appear the same but look closer.
You have a parts/reference machine. As most Chinese equipment is difficult to impossible to get parts for.
I mean parts that bolt right on without modifications.
I am finishing a Chinese machine for a customer as we speak.
He bought two, serial numbers are sequential and most parts will not exchange between them.

I would inspect them carefully and see if they are identical, not nearly identical.
If they are I would keep them both.
With most Chinese equipment no two are the same...they might appear the same but look closer.
You have a parts/reference machine. As most Chinese equipment is difficult to impossible to get parts for.
I mean parts that bolt right on without modifications.
I am finishing a Chinese machine for a customer as we speak.
He bought two, serial numbers are sequential and most parts will not exchange between them.
I thought of that too, but I have no place to store it, and like you say most parts won't interchange any way. I'm sure I will regret selling it but need to recoup some of my money.

Back