Sanding Belts And Aluminum

Ripthorn

Active User
Registered
I was wondering if any of you fine folks have any tips on keeping sanding belts clean when sanding aluminum. I have a couple belts (and some spindle sander sleeves) where the aluminum is on there and won't come off. I tried one of the rubber belt cleaners, but without any real success, there is still plenty of material clinging to the belt. So let's hear what works!

I don't have a solution, but then, I don't have the problem. I have a belt/disc sander, use 150 on the disc, 150 and 180 on the belt, no alum buildup. Are you 'hogging', that may embed the aluminum.

I know what you mean. The stuff sort of melts on to the sand paper surface. Might try using some HRS scrap stock to burn the aluminum off. Some Aluminum is so gummy. Used to have to prepare parts for welding.

I use a 12" disk sander to do rough shaping on heavier aluminum. I've never had a problem with 80 grit disks. My finer shaping and touching up is done with 2" belt grinders with very fine grit belts and slow sfm. Also, no problem with clogging. Clogging is a problem when I file it.

Something to be aware of when sanding aluminum is the dust. A lot of belt grinders have warnings against using them with aluminum. I do all the time, but am aware that aluminum powder is highly flammable, explosive and burns very hot and fast. It is a primary ingredient in flash-bang grenades and a lot of military explosive ordinance.

Don't let it accumulate. Keep your aluminum sanding and grinding station clean of aluminum dust. I don't know if a spark will set it off, but I'd rather not find out, personally.

Once aluminum has gummed up a belt or sleeve I don't have a trick for cleaning it off. If there is just a bit I might use a pick to dig some of the bigger gobs out. As mikey wrote, loading the belt or sleeve up with wax stick lube works wonders to prevent clogging. Grit size doesn't seem to make a difference.

Someplace I read to use baby powder(I think) but a welder told me to use soapstone on files,now that does work.

Something to be aware of when sanding aluminum is the dust. A lot of belt grinders have warnings against using them with aluminum. I do all the time, but am aware that aluminum powder is highly flammable, explosive and burns very hot and fast. It is a primary ingredient in flash-bang grenades and a lot of military explosive ordinance.

Don't let it accumulate. Keep your aluminum sanding and grinding station clean of aluminum dust. I don't know if a spark will set it off, but I'd rather not find out, personally.

Worse than the aluminium dust is it in combination with rusted iron/steel dust - the combination's known as Thermite, and burns hotter than hell - as well as use in munitions, railway lines used to be welded by building a clay/asbestos box around the join, filling it with Thermite and touching it off - in about a second the aluminium reduces the iron oxide to molten iron, itself turning into alumina (sapphire!), once cool the ends of the rails have been melted and fused with the fresh iron. THOUSANDS of degrees temperatures. It's done electrically now, 5000 Amp arcs are a lot safer.
In a clay ring between wax-paper discs and slapped on top it makes quite an improvement to roadside speed cameras too, far quicker and more effective/efficient than a burning tyre ;0)

There have been quite a few industrial accidents where a grinder got used for both metals and sparks ignited the mix, results can be 3rd-degree burns from the splashing molten metal - hence the prohibition on mixing grinding operations on machines in most factories and workshops and the need to clean up regularly...

I read that cast iron works to clean aluminum off of belts and discs.
Also, the use of WD40 on the aluminum reduces the build up.

Back