Sauter Hydraulic Tracer Attachment (Lathe)

Tinker.in.the.shop

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I have a Sauter (Made in Germay) Hydraulic tracer attachment with powerpack but no manual and can't seem to find one online as of yet.

Firstly I wondered what oil would be most suitable for this powerpack; I was told ISO32 should be perfectly fine.
But mainly, I don't know how much PSI the system should be running at. The gauge is rated 0-400 and there is what I assume is an adjustment knob.

Any advice before I get this up and running would be very useful. I've never used any kind of hydraulic equiptment before and don't want to damage anything

-Tinker

Last edited:
Please post some pictures of the unit so we can get a better understanding of how it works.

Please post some pictures of the unit so we can get a better understanding of how it works.

This is a generic unit but is a much clearer photo than I can currently take of my own unit (taken from Google Images)
As you can see, the Hydraulic powerpack is a self contained unit which then has two lines to the "head" which is the attachment itself shown to the left of the picture.
Without the maual I'm trying to gauge the oil type and pressure required for optimum running of the "head".

-Tinker

Attachments

• tracer2.jpg
    tracer2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 35
I believe some Harrison lathes used a system similar to this. You might find some info on the Harrison lathe site?

Martin

I believe some Harrison lathes used a system similar to this. You might find some info on the Harrison lathe site?

Martin
There are many, many lathes that used these Tracers. It was very common pre-CNC technology. And is still used in some industry today although less common.

Put it on the machine and try it out.
Most any hydraulic oil will allow it to function and will have minimal effect on its use.
Virtually no one is using hydraulic tracers anymore.
Further more of the tracers that I support 1 out of 3 old school machinist can actually make good use of it..
half of the shops I service have them on a shelf and that's where they stay.
Otherwise put it on the shelf and don't worry about it.

Put it on the machine and try it out.
Most any hydraulic oil will allow it to function and will have minimal effect on its use.
Virtually no one is using hydraulic tracers anymore.
Further more of the tracers that I support 1 out of 3 old school machinist can actually make good use of it..
half of the shops I service have them on a shelf and that's where they stay.
Otherwise put it on the shelf and don't worry about it.

It will be put in service day-to-day in my shop.

-Tinker

That is truly the best way to get it working.
Keep posting and please don't forget the pictures!

Keith Fenner has a lathe with a tracer on it. In some of his videos he goes into some detail on setting up and using it. They might be worth watching if you haven't used one before.

Keith Fenner has a lathe with a tracer on it. In some of his videos he goes into some detail on setting up and using it. They might be worth watching if you haven't used one before.

I must have watched just about every tracer video I could find, unfortunately the details I'm after are never discussed. I'll manage without but just thought I'd ask around first on the off-chance.

-Tinker

Back