Sauter Hydraulic Tracer Attachment (Lathe)

Hadn't posted here in a LONG while. I think !?! :^D
I really DID just stumble upon some of the works of the ABANDONED Hydraulic Tracer apparatus that was the factory supplied HIGHEST END model in 1953 when my AMERICAN PACEMAKER was built. It was NOT an attachment per se , as most of these units were. I ran MANY different (ADD-ON) units from 1978 to about 1982?
I will share some pics in a bit. But I will tell you for certainty that the operation pressures were from 120 psi on the rather small units , to the more common 300 psi units on the 16"-20" Lathes. Some had a cylinder stroke around 14". Mind you ALL of the operated at AN ANGLE relative to the Chuck. Usually 30° degrees but I seem to recall some very small ones that used 45° .
They all operated on 10 weight hydraulic oil , ISO 32 certainly will work.
My old lathe still had the lubricants listed in - " SAYBOLT SECONDS ".

I briefly had it up and running until I turned around to see the fitting for the pressure gauge was spewing out oil. Looks like the threads in the manifold had taken some damage so I need to take it apart and see what I can do to repair it..

So close yet so far... It did a test piece and I was quite pleased with the surface finish I was getting so I'm hopeful it will do good work in my shop.

Back