Savage mo. 1904 headspace

The steel was not particularly hardened for the 22 rimfire cartridges so small light taps will move it back. After a century of recoil and pulling back on the handle, movement of the recoil lug is quite likely and in the photo I don’t see much wear on the two surfaces, per the photos.
Pierre

I picked up this early model 1904 to refinish for my son when I discovered that the head space was too long for the striker to detonate the .22 rim. The most straight forward approach I can think of is to add material some how to the "receiver" behind the lug of the bolt handle, but I'm unsure of the best way to do that. I have a welder, but am unsure about metal finish and temper once I add metal and file it down. Have considered soldering a piece of shim stock, but would that peel away from friction with the bolt handle? I appreciate any help. Thanks
We had a similar issue with an OLD 22 Cal and we uses a small dot of the old recipe JB Weld which once hard can be dressed down to proper thickness easily and held up well.

We had a similar issue with an OLD 22 Cal and we uses a small dot of the old recipe JB Weld which once hard can be dressed down to proper thickness easily and held up well.
Oh, wow- is that what happened with J-B? I used to be able to pull off some miraculous stuff with it, but all of my attempts the last 10 years or so have been high-flying bellyflops. The thought that they reformulated it never even occurred to me.

Oh, wow- is that what happened with J-B? I used to be able to pull off some miraculous stuff with it, but all of my attempts the last 10 years or so have been high-flying bellyflops. The thought that they reformulated it never even occurred to me.
JB Weld was invented in Sulphur Springs TX, I knew the family. When the old man died they sold interest in the business and as always the new investors spread out the product line. You can still find the original here, its in 2 tubes one half it black and one is white. Unfortunately the name has been printed on many different packages and they are not truly JB Weld.

Dry firing a rimfire beats up the firing pin if there's no relief slot cut in the barrel. I would suspect a short firing pin.

Excess dry firing can displace metal into chamber. Can disrupt chambering or extraction. Common enough there’s a special swaging tool made to iron out chamber

Back