saw attachment for the shaper

Hi,
I made one for my 1918 patent date G&E 16" Shaper. I use a 14" power hacksaw blade. When I set it up in the tool post I use a small square to set it straight up and down. I have the teeth set so it cuts on the forward stoke. If I remember right I run the shaper in 3 or 4 in back gears. It seems to cut straight. The biggest problem is that it is slow going due to no power down feed on my machine. I only use it to cut large long pieces that won't fit in the basement to cut on my HF band saw (which does not cut straight).
Dave

Hi,
I made one for my 1918 patent date G&E 16" Shaper. I use a 14" power hacksaw blade. When I set it up in the tool post I use a small square to set it straight up and down. I have the teeth set so it cuts on the forward stoke. If I remember right I run the shaper in 3 or 4 in back gears. It seems to cut straight. The biggest problem is that it is slow going due to no power down feed on my machine. I only use it to cut large long pieces that won't fit in the basement to cut on my HF band saw (which does not cut straight).
Dave

On the HF bandsaw. Mine didn't cut worth beans until I replaced the blade with a new bi-metal one. Now it cuts just fine.

FYI

-Ron

Back