[Lathe] SB 9" lathe

56100Jimmy

Registered
Registered
Hello ,I'm a Beginner, I have a SB 9"#57574NAR .Been sitting quite a while .Just started to check out things and the larger Gib is missing on the cross feed is this something that can be bought new, or is it something that has to be made? How to "change" the oil on the spindle ? Thanks in advance!

Gib: You'll probably have to make it, unless ebay or SBLatheman over on PM has one in stock.

Oil: There is an allen head plug under the GITS oilers. Remove the plug and drain away. I'm pretty sure of this, but if you posted pics we would have a better understanding of your lathe.

Question: How long has it been since the felts were changed on your lathe?

Grizzly now owns the rights to South Bend and manufactures "copies" of the original machines overseas. A gib from one of the new machines might fit, maybe try calling their parts department. Otherwise, You might be able to find a used gib on eBay etc, if not, you'll probably need to make one.

Hello ,I'm a Beginner, I have a SB 9"#57574NAR .Been sitting quite a while .Just started to check out things and the larger Gib is missing on the cross feed is this something that can be bought new, or is it something that has to be made? How to "change" the oil on the spindle ? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the site. Tons of info and super smart guys to help us.

Gib: You'll probably have to make it, unless ebay or SBLatheman over on PM has one in stock.

Oil: There is an allen head plug under the GITS oilers. Remove the plug and drain away. I'm pretty sure of this, but if you posted pics we would have a better understanding of your lathe.

Question: How long has it been since the felts were changed on your lathe?
Thanks so much for the info ,I have had it for quite awhile, I have never ran the machine it was in a high school machine shop setting.
I would have to assume it has never had the felts changed

Good day, I have a couple used gibs.
I sent you a pm
Thanks so much!
Grizzly now owns the rights to South Bend and manufactures "copies" of the original machines overseas. A gib from one of the new machines might fit, maybe try calling their parts department. Otherwise, You might be able to find a used gib on eBay etc, if not, you'll probably need to make one.
Thank you

Is Grizzly building any “copies” of South Bend lathes overseas that have any original South Bend (when they were still in Indiana) designed parts in them? I didn’t think so, but I could be wrong.
I guess Grizzly owns the name South Bend, and can put it on anything it has produced overseas, I dunno.
To be fair, I think all of their South Bend badged stuff is made pretty well.
And I’ve heard their overseas produced 10k is a quality lathe, although expensive, & I guess now discontinued.
Used parts from older Indiana produced South Bend lathes (& possibly some clones) should be widely available, a lot of them were built.
This is just my opinion, and (like I say) possibly mine alone in the whole universe.

There's experts here, and they'll be along. In the mean time, poking a stick at the internet, that looks like a 9A Workshop lathe from about 1968. Cool.

You've already got all of the advice I could give you about the gib.

As for changing the oil in the headstock reservoirs, that's not really accessible. If it saw a lot of use though, it's probably due for wicks anyway, that project will get you access to the inlet (the oil cup) and the outlet (the hole where the wick wipes against the spindle). It might or might not be graceful, but you could probably do something with that.... The oil cups for those bearings go into a cast in reservoir, so in theory you could remove those and drain some of the oil out... In practice though, it's mostly in the wick. Just changing the wicks will change most of it.

You can make your own wiper wicks, but there's kits on ebay that are insanely expensive for what they are, but at the same time, by the time you buy an available lot of a couple of things to do your own... The kits aren't that much. And they already know what types of felt to buy on the first go. And on that note, if you were to get the complete kit, for the whole lathe, you might be really ahead. You don't have to overhaul the whole lathe, you could certainly address it in chunks of that kit. If you are distrusting of the spindle oil right now, you're going to have the spindle out to truly put that one to bed. The drive (I think you have the horizontal drive, with the motor and a second cone pulley in the back?) If so, in my mind, I'd kind of group those together. You'd have those felts in the kit too. At that point, (judgement call, future intentions...), you'd only have the backgear to take out to install a one piece belt if you were inclined to go that route. You wouldn't really be obligated to go any further at that point, but (again, if you got the whole kit), you'd be prepared, if you notice that ALL of quick change gears aren't getting fresh oil on them at some point, you'd be ready. Or if the way wipers look like they may have petrified themselves into little steel impregnated felt scotch brite bricks, those could be updated easy enough.

Ebay and Amazon can get you those kits pretty easy, with or without a book. Search either for "South Bend Lathe 9" model A rebuild kit", that's close enough to get you there either place. There are others I can not vouch for, but stevewb on ebay has sent me probably five different things at different times, all of them as pictured and on time.

Back