Sb Heavy 10 With Collet Closer Help Id

toolman_ar

Active User
Registered
Happy Thanks Giving to one and all!!

I found this little guy for sale near me. Not that I need another project or even have space...

But, I would like your help regarding the collet device mounted in front of the spindle.

The add states that it is made in Germany?

The machine is a 1941, South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe, long bed, 34" between centers. 115v, 1 Hp motor, comes with 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and face plate. Has 1-7/8-8 threaded spindle, and a 1.062 thru hole.

I think this is a nifty machine, but have been holding out for a larger thru hole, undermount, 10" lathe.

What are your thoughts on the collet closer system?

toolman_arSB Heavy 10 small spindle lathe.jpg SB Heavy 10 collet closer.jpg

I may be wrong but I don't think that's a heavy 10 with this spindle specs. heavy 10's are usually 2 1/4 x 8 with a much larger pass through, around 1 1/2 ish or bigger. looks like heavy 10 though. and that collet closer is very unique and cool.
Lots of tooling with that lathe!

Someone was faster than me, the add is gone. Guess I will keep looking.

I need to finish other projects, rather than finding new ones...

toolman_ar

There are two different models of the Heavy 10 South Bend, the 10L and the 10R.

The L has a 2-1/4x8 spindle and will take 5C colletrs. The R has a 1-7/8x8 spindle, a 1" through hole and takes 2A collets.

The R is somewhat rare and tend to be earlier models, mine dates to the early 40's. This lathe appears to be the same vintage. Although I em envious of the chip pan.

There are a number of collet fixtures that mount on the front spindle and allow for quick change of work piece. I have not seen this particular one before but have seen others, usually for 5C collets.

Back