Schools In.

Failure only happens when you whole heatedly give up. A scrapped project is not a failure, it's a learning experience that WILL come in handy later.

Interesting, but a project is only scrapped when, during the build, it is deemed it is no longer needed. At that point you set it aside and use parts in later projects. So much for failure IMHO. You will learn that lesson as time passes.

"Billy G"

I can't fail because I can't give up, even if it's in my best interest to do so. I just keep trying until I get it. There was one exception. I had a spray gun that didn't work properly and I couldn't fix it. Every time I decided to give up, in a few days I'd come up with another angle to attack it from and waste even more time on it. Eventually I had to smash it with a sledgehammer because I couldn't fix it and I couldn't stop trying to fix it. Other than that spray gun, my track record is pretty good.

Failure is only a state of mind, i have always pushed myself to go further in my endevers, what is a fail to one person could be a huge success to someone else. I have a few saying that i try to live by, (if i learned something new today it was a great day) and i try to learn something every day,no mater how trivial it might be. I get a laugh when someone tells me (I cant do that) my answer to that is have you tried ,if not how can you say you cant do it???? There is no such word as cant till you have tried. Another saying is (do it right or dont do it). The best way to avoid a fail is to sit on your fat a$$ and do nothing.:rofl:

Last edited:
My opinion "When failure is not an option; mediocre is assured"

Failure is a mindset. Some are taught that you can fail and they accept that notion. Have I "failed" before? Not really, maybe had to go to plan B, C, D, etc.... But in the end the I consider it more of a challenge. Have I reached a point of not being able to achieve the desired end state? Of course, but all I needed to do was roll up the sleeves and learn more and then I was able to achieve the goal.

Last edited:
My college English prof said that "F" grade that I received in his English Lit class stood for "Failure". I told him it was not failure, but instead was a learning experience. He said, "No, if it had been a learning experience, you would have passed. I detected no learning on your part. Hopefully, repeating my class will be a learning experience." It was... barely.

Tom

My college English prof said that "F" grade that I received in his English Lit class stood for "Failure". I told him it was not failure, but instead was a learning experience. He said, "No, if it had been a learning experience, you would have passed. I detected no learning on your part. Hopefully, repeating my class will be a learning experience." It was... barely.

Tom

You can tell your Professor this for me. "With all due respect sir. you really need to do some work on you social skills. It would have been much more enlightening if you had said I needed to learn more in such and such an area, not that in your eyes I had completely failed. Sir, you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Your Professor needs to read this thread. :lmao:

"Billy G"

you can lose the battle, and still win the war. its all about the big picture, there will be losses, but you have to learn from them. and in the end youll be better for it. besides, i have made a ton of things from my scrap pile, so those "failures" live on a new life.

Hi All
Absolutely you can fail! I'm not a fan of the "Everybody gets a ribbon" "We don't keep score" crowd. I can tell you everybody keeps score, from the youngest to the oldest of the human race. Unless your brain dead or a complete mental case everyone wants' to be successful. As for as Parts failing, welds failing, that is a result of you not specking the material right for the job, or not making a good weld. Those are your failures, weather you don't have the experience or the knowledge or the interest to continue, that falls on you. Digging material out of the "scrap" box from an unusable project and making something else that is useable in no way make the previous failure a success.

"My college English prof said that "F" grade that I received in his English Lit class stood for "Failure". I told him it was not failure, but instead was a learning experience. He said, "No, if it had been a learning experience, you would have passed. I detected no learning on your part. Hopefully, repeating my class will be a learning experience." It was... barely.

Tom "
I agree 110%. You only make progress by accepting responsibility for failure, and continuing on. Otherwise you are doomed to repeating the same mistakes. I don't know of any perfect humans on this earth in last 2000 years.
Just my 2 cents worth
CH

Last edited:
That is a big question. My answer is yes because the biggest failure is never attempting. I have many people who ask me, how did you figure out how to work with wood, or weld, or work on the car, or these days - turn things on a lathe or mill? My answer is that I just started reading on it and then doing it and when one way did not work, do another. Some of my friends say, well of course you can do things, you have all those tools. They never realized the need preceded the tools and I rarely have ever bought a new tool. I am like most here, I search and search for the right tool at the right price. Usually, after I buy it - no matter how cheaply - I see the same item much cheaper within the week.

Someone said you learn nothing from success. Maybe. If you lose a patient, is that a learning experience or a failure? In this realm, if I mess up a rare piece of wood or an expensive metal, does it matter if I learned?

I just took an ugly hospital bed and remade it in to a nice piece of furniture for her bedroom and maintained the important parts, electrics, height adjustment, etc. It took 3 days to figure out/make the headboard and while the footboard was the same, it only took two hours. Were the first 3 days I spent, with all the mistakes and waste, a failure? Yes and no. The end result is acceptable to me and I get many compliments but I know every error in the build so I say thank you graciously to the compliments and sit on my desire to point out my errors in the build.

Certainly a failure occurs if you miss a deadline. That can translate to a personal failure depending on the repercussions to the business.

Sometimes the heart fails, the liver, the kidneys, the lungs, the brain, and so on. Is that failure or life?

Concluding, I have and will fail, one day my body will fail but so long as I can think and use my hands, I will always be tinkering and it is the successes that brighten the way.

Back