Scrap Yard Stuff

Nice find, also nice to be single with no punk kids

Since the NAFTA free trade agreement was signed our own industrial park has gone to Mexico and there was a steady stream of bridgeport mills as well as other machines being scrapped in one whole piece. Many where salvage many where not it was very sad to see I think on our end of the world the workers where told to sell the machines so they did they sold them in retaliation to the scrap yard.

Hay i got some time to look and work on my machine. The table had .380" play in right and left. Took it apart till i found the problem fixed the screw holder and i think it will be OK. the one shot oiler was full of water and i cleaned it out , it works super.

IMG_8614.JPG IMG_8613.JPG

Hay i got some time to look and work on my machine. The table had .380" play in right and left. Took it apart till i found the problem fixed the screw holder and i think it will be OK. the one shot oiler was full of water and i cleaned it out , it works super.

You got a great deal! I have that same DRO on my mill and it works great.

Jack

Recycle yard moved into our small town. They will not allow the little guy to go out and pick through things. They said if I was bringing in a load of scrap, and saw something, I could "weigh out"....but other than that, NO PICKING! :nono: I could do SO MUCH with some of the stuff that goes through there!

Recycle yard moved into our small town. They will not allow the little guy to go out and pick through things. They said if I was bringing in a load of scrap, and saw something, I could "weigh out"....but other than that, NO PICKING! :nono: I could do SO MUCH with some of the stuff that goes through there!

Same here. They will only buy, they will not sell. I've tried everywhere, but no luck. It kills me that there is so much good stuff in there that I could use, but can't buy. :dunno:

GG

I'm fortunate to have a scrapyard that sells their stock by the pound. Unfortunately they don't sort their steel very well. I did find a branch of Industrial Metal Sales in Michigan. http://www.industrialmetalsales.com/. Bit of a drive, but could be worth a trip to purchase a good supply and maybe eBay some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine just turned me on to a local scrap yard I was completly unaware of.

I stopped over there for the first time yesterday, and was surprised to see "Public Welcome" signs.

I think it's just a matter of time before their insurance company finds out that they're letting "muggles" pick through the piles and bins.

We have a local scrap yard that allows you to drive through and pick up anything you want. Your vehicle is weighed before you go in and on the way out. I was there once just after a machine shop dumped a load of scraps. Hundreds of pieces of short shaft from 3/4" to 6" diameter x 4" to 18" long. Lots and lots of small sheet stock up to 2" thick. Lots of structural steel also. I was in heaven and threw quite a few pieces in my van. I guessed that I had maybe 150 lbs, but I actually had loaded 410 lbs! At .25 cents a pound, it wasn't to bad an investment for enough metal to last me for years. No idea of the type of metal, but it'll work for me. The yard also separates electric motors from equipment that comes in, but unfortunately, they remove them using a track-hoe bucket. All their cast iron (machines) is kept in one area, but I've never seen one that wasn't damaged badly from the unloading process. Still, I've gotten a few hand-wheels and such from them.

Jack

I took some scrap to the scrap yard yesterday and seen a guy get out of his car and carry a few short pieces of cold rolled in to sell. One piece about 3 inch dia and 9 inchs long and still shiny. I had to wonder where he got it but I didn't ask. He couldn't have gotten more than a couple bucks for his steel yet it was stuff I wouldn't have parted with.. Lot of untold stories laid up in them piles.
I may haul my oldest cnc mill to the scrapyard as I have big machinery coming and need the space. And got a couple forklifts that will go there.

Back