Scrapping finish

Richard & Dave

You two got me scared NOW! I bought the book Basic Scraping by Michael Mogan & the Pneumatic scraper from China*Mart's counterpart Harbor Freight. In the books ad it Claimed with it I would know Everything on Scraping. A Total LIE! And have already read to page 7 too...

Any-Whoo, thought the idea was to get very little Blue showing as that is the Low spots. Had a Van Norman man explain years ago about Scraping and that it was like a Signature, that he could tell who had scraped a machine just by looking at it. Then a guy that taught Shop at the local Community College showed me how to do it and the difference - it was amazing the difference. That was years ago and have forgotten most of what he told me. Pretty sure THAT's because of all the Lead bullets I've casted over the years :lmao:

Richard, the two .pdf files are not there, go a msg. that said they're missing something and could not download.

Keep us the good work guys - I'll keep reading it! Now it's time for a NAP! Why? Hell ~ I'm OLD!

HotAire
Ft. Smith, AR(kansas) not Arizona

Oh, there anything here about MOTIVATION?

HotAir

I just tested the links that Richard had posted with no problems. It downloads and then opens in Adobe.

Blue spots are high spots. Depending on what you are shooting for will determine how many spot per square inch you shoot for.

Richard talks about how many spots per square inch for a sliding bearing and how many for a surface plate. I believe that surface plate is 40/40 or 40 per square inch at 40% area covered by spots.

The trick is learning how to move a surface. If a surface is high on one side and you have to lower it there is a lot of work in that.

Dave

HotAir

I just tested the links that Richard had posted with no problems. It downloads and then opens in Adobe.

Blue spots are high spots. Depending on what you are shooting for will determine how many spot per square inch you shoot for.

Richard talks about how many spots per square inch for a sliding bearing and how many for a surface plate. I believe that surface plate is 40/40 or 40 per square inch at 40% area covered by spots.

The trick is learning how to move a surface. If a surface is high on one side and you have to lower it there is a lot of work in that.

Dave

Tried those two .pdf files and they worked, Saved them then opened first time, this time just opened without saving - they worked....

Are you making your scrapers or buying them? And IF you make them where do you get the Carbide for the tips?

My scrapers are home made. Two were made by Forrest Addy and one by me. the two made by Forrest are too stiff and the one made by me is too flexible.

You can get 1/8x1/4x1 carbide from MSC. You have to remove the oxide before silver soldering to your shank.

Dave

I added to my scraping arsenal of scraping equipment today. Connelly in his book "machine Tool reconditioning" said to make a tool for relieving the corners of dove tails just rivet 3 12" power hacksaw blades together in a triangle and wrap two of the blades so you can saw the relief. Well I don't have a power hacksaw so I don't have the saw blades.

Here is what I built. I call it my dove tail relief plane.

000_0511.jpg

000_0512.jpg

000_0515.jpg

000_0513.jpg

You set it to zero cut first then start advancing the cutter just a few thou at a time till you get to the depth you want.

Dave

000_0511.jpg

000_0512.jpg

000_0515.jpg

000_0513.jpg

Nicely done!. Kind of like a plane for cast iron ;)

yes it is. Have to be careful and not take too deep a cut.

Dave

DMS we share the same initials

I agree, nice ..I also use a air grinder with a thin cut off disc.

Seriously? How do you keep it from getting away from you or doing more harm than good? I realize you're quite advanced at this, but is this something an average guy can try?

Back