Sealed thread inserts for aluminum

Helicoils work perfectly fine in aluminum. They are stronger than plain aluminum threads. They are also stronger than time-serts

Helicoils do have a purpose and work good to repair stripped out threads. They might be more durable than a plain aluminum thread where the bolt will be getting removed multiple times. They are NOT stronger than a time sert. A helicoil can unwind when pulled on. In a blind hole case whatever threads the bolt is threaded in is your engagement. Whereas a timesert is a threaded insert that cannot unwind, has full thread engagement in material the full length of material.
Real world experiences helicoils don’t last in a harsh application. Just fastening two pieces of material no stresses they work a charm.
Op a option maybe would be to make insert similar to the original ones with the exception of the knurling on the OD. Use a left handed thread. Thread the housing LH loctite inserts when installed?

Thanks for the input.
I forgot about timeserts since I haven't used them in a while. I prefer to use inserts that use standard tap sizes instead of STI sizes. Ordered some today.
Would have preferred to make some blind inserts but the lathe is down at the moment with a bad bearing.
I have used plenty of helicoils and always set them at least a half turn below the surface and then peened the thread to keep the helicoil from moving.

According to those tests they are. Do you have alternate results?

I give the guy a A for effort and I'm no engineer but I would say his testing rig is not pulling square on the bolt. Every one pulled the left side early in the readings. Results arnt accurate but The readings are what I would expect. You will get more strength out of a larger diameter thread. That's what your doing when installing a insert or helicoil. Those test were also showing a unsupported thread which isn't the situation or ever really when bolting two surfaces together. I stand next to my advice with my 25 yrs in experience and real world results in heavy equipment repairs.

Back