Search Help

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looking for recommendations for tools & supplies for laying out a job like compass, scribe, blueing, etc.
Didn't find any article/posts after quite a few searches.
Any links or recommendations for searching ?

Looking for recommendations for tools & supplies for laying out a job like compass, scribe, blueing, etc.
Not many of of these tools are often used in modern machine shops today for routine work, fabrication (and inspection) are a completely different matter however. Why would you blue and scribe a bolt pattern on a mill part when one could just walk it with a DRO?
I sometimes scribe heavy lathe parts for length when the tolerances are within scribing accuracy, say 1/32nd, on a 60" part, removing the part from the lathe setup to measure becomes impractial, not to mention the time required setting up a 60" dial/vernier caliper, gathering and stringing together gauge rods, clearing the accumulated junk off of the surface plate Etc. We have a 48 X 96 X 24 granite surface plate.

Figured dying and scribing would allow hogging out material without stopping every few passes to measure, measure, and measure again.
As an inexperienced hobby guy, thought it might help from making mistakes and wasting a lot of material.

Not many of of these tools are often used in modern machine shops today for routine work, fabrication (and inspection) are a completely different matter however. Why would you blue and scribe a bolt pattern on a mill part when one could just walk it with a DRO?
I sometimes scribe heavy lathe parts for length when the tolerances are within scribing accuracy, say 1/32nd, on a 60" part, removing the part from the lathe setup to measure becomes impractial, not to mention the time required setting up a 60" dial/vernier caliper, gathering and stringing together gauge rods, clearing the accumulated junk off of the surface plate Etc. We have a 48 X 96 X 24 granite surface plate.
I often lay out work just so that I can see what I am doing and so reduce the risk of silly errors. I use magic marker for blueing.

Last edited:
Figured dying and scribing would allow hogging out material without stopping every few passes to measure, measure, and measure again.
As an inexperienced hobby guy, thought it might help from making mistakes and wasting a lot of material.

You are correct, use a sharpie marker,(an excellent layout fluid for small work by the way) to layout the holes where they generally should be, if you are wildly off it will be obvious.

As a sidenote I used a 1980's Bridgeport knee mill today that my employer bought from one of our customers that closed up shop several months ago, this machine has not been used in years, has a 2 Axis DRO that doesn't work of course, had to use large pliers in order to free up the hand dials that haven't been used since it was new, it is a good one as well with scraped ways and table.

Last edited:

Any machine tool supply online will likely have them. I'd go to Enco when they have their next 20% sale.

You can make your own scribes. I has used a lot of carbide pc drills in the past and saved the shanks when the broke. Some were solid carbide. I mount the carbide shank in a brass or low carbon rod with super glue and grind a fine tip for scribing. I also save old chain saw files and use them for scribes and center punches. Shanks from pulley taps also work well. I make miniature cold chisels out of them as well. They hold up forever. (If used as a struck tool, heat the struck end to a dull grey to draw the temper and avoid shattering when struck.).

+1 on the sharpie. Get a broad tip marker for marking large areas. Blue seem to work the best for contrast but red also works.

+1 On the layout for roughing too.

Bob

Back