Seig SC4 Bearing Replacement / headstock rebuild

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I‘m in the process of replacing all the headstock bearings in my Seig SC4. I’ve gotten the head stripped down fine:

3A4BD15D-6E52-46C1-B025-ECD978FBC789.jpeg
D917DCAD-20BC-4F64-9134-BB2986653F2A.jpeg
1A79ED08-8A62-4AD9-8F60-757187BAB2E2.jpeg
E4E5B27B-9215-474B-871F-C79299772F10.jpeg

The old bearings did not seem to be particularly well lubricated - the taper bearing from the front of the spindle just seemed to be running in a thin grey goop - the residue Im guessing of whatever was used at the factory.

D2C84C13-41F5-4613-9765-5AE142612E4C.jpeg

I’ve ordered all new SKF bearings - better quality than stock no doubt, but I’d like to keep them that way. The front bearing is as I said a taper roller. The rear is a double shield deep ball bearing. Then there’s two smaller deep ball bearings with dual shields that run a small counter shaft that transmits power from the motor up to the spindle via two spur gears.

The headstock is open at the bottom, so there’s no oil bath. And there isn’t any provision to get oil to the bearing once everything is in place. The chuck mounting flange covers the front seal and bearing and the rear bearing is covered by a seal and the preload nuts. The two smaller bearings are somewhat accessible… but the shields sort of prevent getting any real quantity of oil into them, especially as most will just dribble out the front.

so, question is - has anyone else done this? What did you do for lubrication? I was thinking high quality grease for the taper, but then I read all sorts of posts about how it’s not the best, and oil is your friend. Which is great, if you can get it to the bearing.

Any advice on this would be great. I mean, look at the official lubrication chart. Not that helpful, eh? :)

16C34115-9D83-4AF0-8F12-2235FCCDF05B.jpeg

No knowledge of headstock bearings but very surprised that the bottom is opened ! Does the tapered bearing use a seal on the chuck side to keep dirt out ?

No knowledge of headstock bearings but very surprised that the bottom is opened ! Does the tapered bearing use a seal on the chuck side to keep dirt out ?
Yes. Its a seal - bearing - seal arrangement:

8288F082-5E52-4302-B180-D7817CAB38D8.jpeg

Parts 146, 172 & 173. Both ’seals’ are steel press-fit disks, which have no rubber lip seals.

I’ve ordered some proper oil seals of the correct size, thinking that’s what they where - until I found out differently when I disassembled the spindle.

The Grey group was one of a couple different lubricants.
White lithium turns Grey with metal dust.
There are some very high priced special lbearing lubricants but if it was mine I would plan to remove, clean and repack at an interval based on usage.

Looking at the drawing this is sure a light duty arrangement with little spindle bearing preload.
Curious how it acts with a chuck on it and a cut away from the chuck.....

Do you have the part description page ? 172 looks like the spindle bearing. 173 and 146 look like seals. New SKF bearings should help and I would use Mobil # 28 or 32 red grease in a 1 pound can and only fill the bearing 1/3 full. Ask what class bearing your buying. On a Timken tapered roller bearing class zero or double zero precision. Precision bearings have mounting marks that are the TIR or where the maximum run-out of the bearing is when mounted and it is 180 degree's from the run-out of the spindle. On a lathe of that precision (or lack of) this may not be as important then a surface grinder spindle. If you want to check, set the spindle in a V block and turn it aand measure with a tenths (.0001") indicator.

Last edited:
Will you be able to use the seals you bought ?

Yes Richard, 172 is the tapered roller bearing. 146 & 173 are the seals. I’ve gone for this as the replacement:

Will you be able to use the seals you bought ?
We shall see when they arrive. They’re sized correctly, but may be a tad too thick.

My full parts list that’s arriving some time this week is:
1 x 6206-2RS1 SKF Sealed Ball Bearing 30mm x 62mm x 16mm (rear spindle)
1 x OS30x62x7 R23 Metric Oil Seal (rear seal)
2 x OS35x62x7 R23 Metric Oil Seal (front seals, fore & aft)
1 x 32007 X/Q SKF Metric Taper Roller Bearing 35 x 62 x 18mm (front bearing)
2 x 61903-2RS1 SKF Sealed Thin Section Ball Bearing 17mm x 30mm x 7mm (counters shaft bearing)

Bear in mind that this is a small lathe - not as small as the ‘mini’ 7x14 lathes, but it’s not some big lump of old iron:

You would probably not notice any difference with a more precise fit of bearing on this machine.
Save your money.
Richard is on the money with not over packing these bearings.

Back