[How do I?] Select QCTP Carbide Holders?

I'm with Tony, I use wnmg 331 and 332 inserts. I love having 6 cutting edges per insert I know you can get 8 on the cnmg, but only if you have a holder to use the other four corners. A small machine can't take advantage of all that carbide has to offer, but they do work. If you don't want to grind hss, inserts are an answer.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic!

I'm with Tony, I use wnmg 331 and 332 inserts. I love having 6 cutting edges per insert I know you can get 8 on the cnmg, but only if you have a holder to use the other four corners. A small machine can't take advantage of all that carbide has to offer, but they do work. If you don't want to grind hss, inserts are an answer.

Brian,
Didn't I read that you're the proud new owner of a Victor 20x80 lathe? I'd think that could handle whatever carbide you could throw at it!:D
Evan

I agree that you should keep and use the Aloris AXA. I suspect you may not be able to get a 1/2" tool on center height. More likely, you will be using 3/8" tooling. The best idea is to find a brazed turning tool or a previously ground HSS tool in both 3/8" and 1/2" sizes and see which one allows you to set center height without modifying the tool or tool holder. It is always best to use the biggest tool you can but you are limited by your lathe's dimensions.

The tool you linked to is an SCLCR tool that we have discussed here - good tool.
Well hopefully the 1/2" tool will not be too tall as I've already ordered it. Other Logan users seem to use 1/2" tools without issue, so there's hope.

Well hopefully the 1/2" tool will not be too tall as I've already ordered it. Other Logan users seem to use 1/2" tools without issue, so there's hope.

Agreed. I just wanted to raise your awareness. I have an 11" lathe that cannot use unmodified 1/2" SCLCR tools - they have to be cut down or the tool holder has to be modded. Its probably because my compound is taller than a Logan.

Brian,
Didn't I read that you're the proud new owner of a Victor 20x80 lathe? I'd think that could handle whatever carbide you could throw at it!:D
Evan
Yes, but I run the 400 series wnmg inserts on that machine. On the smaller lathes I use the 300 series wnmg inserts. My only advice is don't go to cheap on inserts. I've been using carbide for a long time but I only started buying the good inserts about 10 or twelve years ago. Before that I was just buying the cheapest inserts I could find. My machinery dealer talked me into some Iscar tooling and since then I try to buy the higher quality name brand inserts and holders. One day I'll put a sharp pencil to it, but I'm pretty sure I'm saving money because the inserts hold up so much better than the cheap inserts. Plus the wnmg gives you six edges compared to only 3 on tnmg stuff.

I started with the 5-pack of TNMT triangular insert holders from ENCO for under $40. They are available from many sources (CDCO, Shars, etc.) with 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8" shanks. I only use the LH, center and RH ones. Pretty sure the 1/2" and 5/8" ones use the 32x series inserts. I have tool holders for C, D, T, V, W style inserts (probably overkill?) plus 16ER threading and a couple of tool holders with HSS. Still end up using the T triangular style most of the time.

Bruce

upload_2017-3-8_11-46-58.png

Nice setup Bruce!

I'm a little old school here. I grew up using triangle inserts in both positive and negative inserts. On my 9" SBL, I have a variety of cutting tools, including holders that uses TPG, DPMT, DCMT, VCMT inserts. All in the smaller size inserts like TPG 221, 222's . And I still use some HSS too.

I received the Aloris AXA last night and did a quick fit-up this morning. Will need to make a new T-nut, as the one that came with is it sloppy in the Logan. Popped a 3/8" HSS tool into one of the holders and eyeballed center to the chuck and looks darned close. Looks like I'll need to make a holder for the 1/2" carbide tool I ordered, or possibly machine down the one non-Aloris holder that came with the QCTP.

Back