Selectable/regional meshing

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Learned something new the other day. One can create regions in the slicer that override the system level directives. This is pretty neat.

I did this to print an airgun moderator using TPU. The entire exterior is solid 100% infill for strength, but the interior is meshed so it is porous. I created a cylindrical region that was moved into the interior of the main moderator. Within the modifier cylinder it had 45% gyroid infill and 0 perimeters. So the baffles and their supports are gyroidal, which guides the air, but also slows a bit of it down, by passing through the infill. Printed without a hitch. I used 3mm walls for the exterior cylinder so it is self supporting. Mesh baffles are supported by six mesh supports to the exterior wall.
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 5.18.04 PM.png
1/2-20 threads printed quite distinctly using 0.2mm Speed Input Shaping on my MK4.
PXL_20240113_183537619.jpg
Unfortunately one cannot see very well into the interior, (haven't figured out how to take a picture, bore scope?) but I watched while it was printing - the interior is indeed a gyroidal mesh with no perimeters or shell. Seems to work ok without a pellet. Not loud indoors in a small room. Could be quieter (always can be), but not bad for 37mm OD, 148mm total length. No sharp tones. TPU has decent damping characteristics. Moderator is not squishy - unlike when I meshed it using gyroidal fill for everything.

Interior modifier cylinder of 30.8mm diameter x 124mm long with gyroidal mesh, including the conical region by the threads. Printed threads up, no supports.

Was fun doing. Print times with IS (input shaping) are considerably shorter. One of these days when I get daring enough, I will put in an accelerometer. But for now, I'm happy with my MK3S+ to MK4 upgrade. Only thing that would be really nice would be to add the MMU3 to it. That could make some snazzy prints.

Attachments

• tpuldc.pdf
    495.4 KB · Views: 38
Back