Selecting a 4 jaw chuck for SB13"

Milan454

Registered
Registered
I imagine this is a relatively fundamental question but what criteria do I need to take in consideration when selecting a chuck for my lathe? ie. How do I know it will fit the spindle and what size (diameter) chuck would one purchase?
As always TIA
Milan

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_005439739.jpg
    IMG_20200607_005439739.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 33
For a 13" lathe, I'd probably select a 8" 4 jaw chuck. As to making sure it fits, likely with a threaded spindle, you may have to seperatly buy a semi finished backplate with the diameter and thread to match your spindle, and fit it to the chuck. You could probably find a backplate on E Bay, but fitting it to the chuck that you buy might be difficult or impossible.

Definitely stay in the 6-8" range. Common spindle nose threads are easy to find on eBay. The last back plate I bought outright was a NOS Pratt-Burnerd that cost me under $60 from a large supply house. I don't remember which one off hand, but it doesn't matter. They are out there. Even Shars sells a selection of partially-machined back plates in common sizes.

If you're looking for chucks, you might get lucky and get the chuck + backplate to fit your lathe as a used set, because South Bend lathes are popular.

I like the white paint, by the way. Looks clean, literally!

To my eye it looks like a light grey, not an easy color to avoid staining. Looks much better than some of the paint jobs that we have seen, with red and yellow, maybe some green and orange thrown in!

"Is it a grey dress or a purple dress LOL" Its a very light Ford Tractor Grey. it is work to keep it clean but as infrequently as I use it it looks better in the "Garage-mahol" as light clean color...

milan : just read this; but i have a 4 jaw that came off a heavy 10 with backplate it is 8.250 od. i thought that it was pretty big for my lathe so i bought a 6 in. i live in western pa.. (i don't know what the thread size of the spindle is on your 13 ni.)

milan : just read this; but i have a 4 jaw that came off a heavy 10 with backplate it is 8.250 od. i thought that it was pretty big for my lathe so i bought a 6 in. i live in western pa.. (i don't know what the thread size of the spindle is on your 13 ni.)
I will do a little digging and see what thread size I have. Thanks!

just found this... "Spindle thread size for a SB 13 would be 2-1/4"-8, (2.25"-8) which is the same as most versions of the SB heavy 10 (10L) and also some other lathes such as Logan. That is one of the most common thread sizes for lathe spindles."

Back