Self Centering, Multi-Diameter Boring Bar Holder

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Warning- This is about to be the laziest project idea post, as I didn't make this one! Ha hah.

I acquired this boring bar holder with my recent lathe purchase. It is such a cool idea, new to ME at least, I wanted to share it here. It looks pretty easy to make at home.

e5e8ubud.jpg

urehu2ys.jpg

As you can see, the two "V"s bring any size bar right up to center. All you have to to is turn it so the tool tip is centered. And you can automate this as well by marking them, but that is for another thread.

It consists of a main post, which also allows the boring bar to pass through, therefore determining the capacity:

9aruruhe.jpg

The pin in the top next to the mount bolt is important to keep the body of the holder aligned with the Main post. That pin fits into the body next to the main bolt:

8a3ypaja.jpg

dajyhere.jpg

This part might need multiple parts (3?) to be assembled is the V-clamp, since it would waste a lot of metal to cut metal away- unless you can cast:

5egyhemy.jpg

... One way to make this tool sort of "indexable" would be to make this U part with FLATs at the clamping end instead of the small "V"s.
Then clamp the boring bars you want to use in place, blue the two flats on the clamp, and then mill flat areas on the boring bars at the corresponding marks. Does that make sense?

I wish I could read the tag, but it is warn off- I am trying to analyze this pic in Photoshop to help determine the original manufacturer:

u8a5u8ej.jpg

All I can make out is a "CLA..." on the top left.
I will be happy to take any measurements or answer any questions if there is any interest!

Bernie

It looks like the tag is painted over. Some purple power degreaser undiluted will lift the paint. My guess is it will say Clausing.

It looks like the tag is painted over. Some purple power degreaser undiluted will lift the paint. My guess is it will say Clausing.

It looks like paint, but it is actually all warn away. I am currently playing in photoshop with a close up, and changing contrast etc to see what turns up. I wish I had infra red lights and an unfiltered camera!

Might try lighting from the side, oblique lighting can show lots of info. Could also use red light and/or filter, not as good as IR or UV that can also bring out hidden details. I have an IR modded DSLR for Astro photography but I have not attempted something like this as of yet.
Pierre

Might try lighting from the side, oblique lighting can show lots of info. Could also use red light and/or filter, not as good as IR or UV that can also bring out hidden details. I have an IR modded DSLR for Astro photography but I have not attempted something like this as of yet.
Pierre

Wow Pierre! Great idea.. Being a commercial photographer, I sometimes forget to go way back to the very basics of my learning... I could even try blacklight!

Yes...

Bernie

My parents used to document old tombstones in the local cemeteries. By either using a strong flashlight near dusk or wait for the sun to move into an oblique position, they could read the eroded craving on the stones. Otherwise they looked like there was basically nothing left to find.
Pierre

u8a5u8ej.jpg

All I can make out is a "CLA..." on the top left.
I will be happy to take any measurements or answer any questions if there is any interest!

Bernie

Looks like GLA... to me, so possibly Glacern? M

Mystery Solved!!!!

We were close- it. Is a GLOBE Boring bar holder. Mine just has an older plate. They made a milling attachment that is on Tony Griffith's Lathes.co site too..

Here are pics I found on Ebay:

Bernie

pyba2upy.jpg

tyzuqe8u.jpg

So now I found the original, NOS, Globe Manufacturing boring bar set! Wee HOOOO! Just over $25! Less than a new set! 8)

y5edyzuq.jpg

Bernie

y5edyzuq.jpg

Back