"Semi Universal" Dividing Heads?

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For one who just does not know, what exactly is the difference between a "semi universal" dividing head, and, shall we say, a "completely universal" one?

A universal head runs off a gear train to the mill and will cut helixes. A newer way by oxtoolco is to use a stepper motor, encoder and what looks like a semi-universal head. there's a video on youtube called Dogmeat Helical Milling.

A semi universal has the capability of tilt and possibly the capability of disengaging the worm, and yes, it does not have the capability of gearing the table screw to the worm shaft.

A semi universal has the capability of tilt and possibly the capability of disengaging the worm, and yes, it does not have the capability of gearing the table screw to the worm shaft.
Thanks John!
OK - so capable of more than indexing. Perhaps to be able to deal with helical gears as well as spurs?
Does "tilt" mean "rotate the whole head".
There is bound to be some dude showing the way on a video. I will find it. :)

Thanks John!
OK - so capable of more than indexing. Perhaps to be able to deal with helical gears as well as spurs?
Does "tilt" mean "rotate the whole head".
There is bound to be some dude showing the way on a video. I will find it. :)
By "tilt" I mean that the spindle will elevate within certain limits in the direction of table travel; yes, spur gears and suchlike, but not helical, as there is no provision for powered rotation of the dividing plate, which, of course would also drive the worm and hence rotate the spindle through a train of gears from the table feed screw. There is a dude accomplishing helical milling using a encoder and stepping motor, but he does not retain the facility of accurate dividing, using the indexing plates.
There's a video on youtube called Dogmeat Helical Milling.

Back