[How do I?] Set screw falls out, is there an easy way to fix this?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Feel kind of silly asking this kind of question, but you all are a bunch of handy people. The set screw keeps on falling out of our brand new kitchen faucet handle. Last time, I fiddled with it and just tightened the screw. Less than a week later, the little set screw is on the kitchen counter again. When I took the handle off, I can see it's actually machined, which is pretty cool. What I do see is there are only 2 threads in the handle. Is this the reason the screw would loosen easily? The stem that the screw goes into is some sort of plastic. Would a simple loctite solution be adequate?
IMG_20200722_213052_annotate.jpgIMG_20200722_221006.jpg

Loctite or put a prick mark on the set screw thread . They also sell nylock set screws .

Blue or purple loctite? Really don't want to punch the tiny set screw, probably go flying to parts unknown! The set screw is a sloppy fit.

Nylock sounds interesting.

Last edited:
I had the same trouble on a shower spigot . I put a dab of Loctite on it and it's still connected ! :grin: I used whatever I found down the basement but I'm guessing it was the wicking stuff .

If there are only two threads engaged, nyloc stands not much chance of lining up, use loctite.

If the faucet on warrantee, replace it with a different brand if they will let you. I doubt replacing the handle will fix it. It is just a stupid design. Otherwise, how much room do you have in there? Make a C shape insert to fill most of the space. Epoxy the insert in, Drill and tap. I had a problem like yours except it was the bathtub faucet and that is how I fixed it.

I use a wrap or two of tefelon tape. Works better when you have poorly matched threads.
The teflon tape would be good for tightening up the threads. Practically speaking, how does one wrap teflon tape around a 5mm long 5mm diameter set screw? There's literally not much to hold on to. When it falls out again, I may try it.

Back